SR-80's arrived
Oct 1, 2003 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uoods

100+ Head-Fier
I was fortunate enough to pick up a free gift certificate at a recent college type expo thing for some random online store, they happened to have SR-80's. Before I knew it, I was opening a package and taking out my first pair of Grados.

So here's my background: I'm an Etymotic listener of around three years strong now. I listen MP3's of various bitrates (mostly 192+ or VBR) or FLAC out of an M-Audio Revo -> ZuCable pivot -> Meta42. I took the headphone journey backwards, as many do, and got the ER-4P's way before I was ever concerned about amps or source. Now I mainly use them with the conversion cable. Anyway, on to the Grados.

I took them out of the box and immediately started sizing up how the pads would feel. I shrugged and put them on, and to my surprise, they felt fine. I'm wearing them as I write this, and they've been on for about an hour. Perhaps I'm lucky, they seem to fit my head just fine. At first I pondered stopping at putting them on and burning them in right away, but there's no fun in that. Again I was surprised, they sound wonderful out of the box. Actually, I was more afraid than surprised. I thought, if they sound like this now, does that mean they'll be bright when they get broken in? I hope this isn't the case, as I'll be letting them burn in for the rest of the day.

Anyway, I'm a fan of many genres, but at the moment I've been on a binge of classical. I decided that this is the first and last test I'll be giving the Grados to determine whether or not I keep them: Mozart - Canon in D, played by piano. They sounded good. None of the expected sibilance or harshness was there. Next I ventured into some rock, mostly Dream Theater. I see now what everyone means by "attack." The Grado's really have a way of empasizing the drums cymbal crashes, but in a nice way. The final leg of my preview journey was some electrionica. The bass was very pleasing, a nice change of pace from my Ety's. While I enjoy the analytical bass response of the Ety's, it was nice to get some more emotion out of the music, though it was noticeable that the bass had less control. Don't get me wrong, the bass was good, I'm just so familiar with the track I used that I could pick it out easily.

Overall I'm impressed. I think I will be selling these in a week or two though. Not because I don't like them, but because I do, and I want to hear some 225's
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 6
Uoods, Glad you like your Grados. That's weird, my introduction to SR80s came through a similar path. I had ER-4S' then got a used pair of 80s through a Head-Fi trade. You've got to try out some pad mods though (I've got Sennheiser H-19545s on now and flat pads preordered). Maybe after you get your 225s.

Oct 1, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Hey uoods -> welcome to team Grado! I've owned my SR-80's(flat pad's) for 6 years, and I think they are pretty special phones, especially so for the money. Like fine wine, they seem to only get better with age. I suggest that you allow them to be fully burned-in before making any final judgment on them. You may well come to the same conclusion as me, that they are definitely a keeper.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2003 at 5:45 PM Post #4 of 6
I did the upgrado path from 80's to 225's. The 225's are worlds above, but if you're able to afford both, consider keeping the 80's. I got rid of mine and sort of regret it. If you got a special deal (as I did also), there's always a place for inexpensive great phones. The 80's (or 60's or 40's) could come in handy if you don't feel like living the house with $200 cans, etc.

And also try the different pads thing. Excitedly waiting on my flats.

Oct 1, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 6
I didn't listen to that track specifically, but the drums definitely stood out as something the 80's did exceptionally well with. As I continue to listen I continue to be impressed. The only downside I can feel right now is how scratchy the pads are. I'll be sure to experiment with flat pats eventually, but for now, it's not that big of a deal. I'll post again after a full burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back