SR-80 dead left channel: fix / recable?
May 18, 2009 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

40Hz

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I have a pair SR-80s (my first 'proper' headphones some 12 years ago), which have just come out of a year's hibernation due to home renovations. Anyway, for no apparent reason the left channel is dead. I haven't found anything that suggests Grado drivers curl up their toes for no reason, so suspect the problem must be cable related. They were put under a bit of stress at one time at the plug end, but otherwise have had a soft life.

So, questions: is there a simple way to tell where the problem lies, and if not is my only option to send them off for a recable? I know the latter would probably cost more than the phones are worth, but they do have some sentimental value (and I would like to use them at the office with a Nuforce Icon I picked up recently).

Appreciate any suggestions or ideas.... Thanks

May 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Not familiar with grado and how easy they are to open. But if you can open them up, you should be able to see if its cable related
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 5
That's part of the problem - Grados can't be easily opened up to check (for eg) whether cable and driver are no longer on speaking terms. I gather it can be done - hairdryer softens hot glue bond etc - but I'd rather leave that to either the manufacturer or one of the third-party recablers.

I suppose I could cut the cable off above the plug and reterminate there, but nothing else springs to mind that is easy. Thanks for the thought though

May 20, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Well I've come across several grados with one side not working. Sometimes its the cable, and sometimes its the driver, one of the voice coils gets broken. I don't know how the second part happens, but it happens and its pretty hard to fix. A recable isn't expensive if you do it yourself, but the issue is sometimes its not a recable issue and it could be the driver itself in which case you may be better off picking up another set of cans.

May 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 5
i had the same problem with my sr60's which i use with my computer. wasnt sure what the problem was and figured it was a cable issue. i *think* it was $25 to send to grado to get them fixed, which was better than buying another set, but also a bit pricey considering the msrp. i didnt want to bother with a diy fix since if i replaced the cable and the issue was still there i'd have spent money and time for nothing which would've been irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back