SR-80 cord is enfuriating
Dec 15, 2003 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Hunter_Killer

100+ Head-Fier
The cord on my SR-80 is annoying me more and more. It is made of the thickest cord I have EVER seen on any headphones and due to the rotating feature of each can they get horribly twisted. Its as if Grado decided people might want to use their cord to tow a broken down car.

Making it worst is that although the pads got no memory whatsoever the cord has plenty of it. I use the SR-80 for portable and every time after it comes out of my bag I have to get through a one minute de-tangling session. Even after you get it straightened the memory ensures that uneven bits of cord is brushing against my neck. I'm one of those ultra-ticklish people who find it uncomfortable to have anything near my neck so this is getting on my nerves.

Is the cord on the SR-325 the same as 80 ? I plan to get one but this is discouraging me.

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:42 AM Post #3 of 34
To be honest, this is one reason why I sold off my SR60s... the cord was driving me crazy in every conceivable way. If the sound (with the pads it came with) had been good enough I might have been able to forgive this, but I was not.

Lately I seem to be gradually turning anti-Grado. They could have had me back again when AcousticSounds made a mistake on their website a few months back and listed the SR-225s for $140. But the fact is, Grado wouldn't allow their cans to be sold at that price so I opted for Senn HD580s instead. And now with Grado preventing Headroom from selling to most countries outside the USA, I'm starting to believe John Grado is a poor businessman and Grado Labs is a poor company basing their success more on a fading reputation than anything else. Combined with the pad issue, there are some excellent reasons why I'll never go Grado again.

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:45 AM Post #4 of 34
fewtch, That HD600 has seduced me over to the dark side... the dark carbon fiber side, that is
very_evil_smiley.gif
600smile.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Iron_Dreamer
fewtch, That HD600 has seduced me over to the dark side... the dark carbon fiber side, that is
very_evil_smiley.gif
600smile.gif

Welcome to the dark side (dark, smooth, natural and musical that is
tongue.gif
).

Hunter_Killer, you too will be seduced by the dark side of the force... err, I mean of the music.

Dec 15, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Lately I seem to be gradually turning anti-Grado. They could have had me back again when AcousticSounds made a mistake on their website a few months back and listed the SR-225s for $140. But the fact is, Grado wouldn't allow their cans to be sold at that price so I opted for Senn HD580s instead. And now with Grado preventing Headroom from selling to most countries outside the USA, I'm starting to believe John Grado is a poor businessman and Grado Labs is a poor company basing their success more on a fading reputation than anything else. Combined with the pad issue, there are some excellent reasons why I'll never go Grado again.

Lately I seem to be suddenly turning anti-everyone: Anti-Sony because they seem to change the warranty policies in mid-warranty-term; anti-Grado due to the reasons that you stated in that quote; anti-Sennheiser due to their uneven quality control on their recent products. (And by the way, Grado Labs wouldn't allow any of their authorised resellers to discount any of their products by more than 10% - at least online.)

What's next from those companies? Well, Sony had already implemented a strict pricing policy in most countries: If you buy from an authorised reseller - at least the reseller's brick-and-mortar stores - you must pay the FULL MSRP at all times, unless there's a special sale going on. Sennheiser is leaning in that direction, as well. And in the near future, both of those companies will go after the grey-market resellers, and will (try to) shut them down. Which means that if things go that way, most of us would be able to afford only the crappy steaming-pile-of-$#!+ products from both brands! Is that what we want?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I just don't know where to turn to next. AKG? Beyerdynamic?

Dec 15, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
And now with Grado preventing Headroom from selling to most countries outside the USA

Umm, since when did this happen ? Does headroom or Todd deliver Grados to Australia ?? If true then John Grado must have become an invalid.

Iron Dreamer, you seemed to be a great fan of Grados for metal, and I wanted a SR-325 in the future, but whats happened with your preferences ? Doesnt HD600 etc suck with metal ?? Im really confused now
confused.gif

Dec 15, 2003 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Hunter_Killer
Making it worst is that although the pads got no memory whatsoever the cord has plenty of it. I use the SR-80 for portable and every time after it comes out of my bag I have to get through a one minute de-tangling session. Even after you get it straightened the memory ensures that uneven bits of cord is brushing against my neck. I'm one of those ultra-ticklish people who find it uncomfortable to have anything near my neck so this is getting on my nerves.

Yeah, I get really annoyed by the Grado cord too. It gets tangled and twisted easily, even when used at home and not on the go, and can brush up on neck like you said if it gets tangled too much. The build quality is just **** also; there's like a little bit of epoxy on the insides of the earcups that prevents the cord from being pulled out, but there's nothing stopping it from being shoved inside. And has Grado ever heard of strain relief?

Dec 15, 2003 at 8:33 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by sTaTIx
Yeah, I get really annoyed by the Grado cord too. It gets tangled and twisted easily, even when used at home and not on the go, and can brush up on neck like you said if it gets tangled too much. The build quality is just **** also; there's like a little bit of epoxy on the insides of the earcups that prevents the cord from being pulled out, but there's nothing stopping it from being shoved inside. And has Grado ever heard of strain relief?

Haha, your words about the blob of glue thingie totally mirrors my post a month or so ago. The blob of crap looks shottie and doesnt prevent the cable from being pushed in. Nice lower cans for metal, the 80's, but they got their problems

Dec 15, 2003 at 8:43 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Hunter_Killer
Haha, your words about the blob of glue thingie totally mirrors my post a month or so ago. The blob of crap looks shottie and doesnt prevent the cable from being pushed in. Nice lower cans for metal, the 80's, but they got their problems

Scary thing is, presumably the same issues are present in the $700 RS-1s.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back