SR-71B, Fully balanced input-output portable headphone amp.....
Jan 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #46 of 56
Hi Ray.
I have good news and bad news. I have been comparing the SR-71B (using Moon Audio adapters made by Drew) with my 307A, both in balanced mode with a balanced source Cary 303T) using a HE6 and ED10 (still burning it).
The bad news is that the SR-71B is not a 307A (probably no surprise to anyone). The good news is that if I didn't have the 307A for immediate and direct comparison I probably would not have missed not having it...that much. This means the the SR71B is quite an accomplishment IMHO. While I'm not an expert in portable headphone amps (or anything else for that matter) I imagine it would be difficult to find anything significantly better at this point in time. Kudos to you Ray. A job well done.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #47 of 56

Quote:
Dear Headfiers & friends....

We are almost there with our shipping to those who made the payment for the SR-71B at intro price.
There are those who put their name for one at intro price BUT had not paid yet.
I always give those friends 2 weeks grace period & honor the intro price this way just in case they had the difficulty of making payment during the Xmas time.
The dead line to make the payment, for those who made the reservation but did not pay till now, is January 10th 2011.
Thanks to those who purchased the SR-71B I am looking forward to reading  your impressions or a short review as to how the SR-71B sounds in your system.
RSA

Hi Ray,

Due to some personal problems, sadly i would like to cancel my purchase of the SR71B (PayPal sent on 31.12.2010)
Please make me a refund to my PayPal address, which is teixeira.vh@gmail.com.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #48 of 56
I just received the SR-71B together with the balanced plug connectors, I searched the forum to figure out the pins configuration and read the post by Ray and saw the Kobiconn jpeg posted by Robin. I just tried soldering my own cables and it works fine, not sure if anyone is interested in this diagram but here it is.. :)

#257 post by Ray
#60 post by Robin W.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #49 of 56
Does anyone know what the expected battery life is on this amp? 
I don't see it published it anywhere.

TIA.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #51 of 56
Thanks Ray, and, by the way it sounds as good as good gets. Very Happy. Especially with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon. Yummy.

Jan 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #53 of 56
I have never heard a portable balanced amp that has even come close to sounding this good. It is everything that it claims to be and more.

Mar 1, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #56 of 56
I finally got the chance to listen to this amp fully balanced with a balanced TWag v2 from my Meridian into the SR-71B and then going balance out via TWag v1 from the amp into my HE-5. While the TWag v2 is not burned it, this setup is is darn close to my Apache and at less than 25% of the price. If there was balance portable source, this would be like having your main system with you everywhere you went. However, I don't know anyone building a portable balance source. I am not talking about a third piece of gear to haul around. I mean basically a full balance source. Ray are you thinking about this as your amp deserves this.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back