SR-71, XP-7 Comparisons and Differences.
Jul 5, 2005 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
As a future owner of some high end cans, I would like to know how the two portable amps from Ray Samuels (SR-71, XP-7) sound compared to each other. Most of my listening will be on the go, so I am not considering anything of the home type.

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 8
The amps are almost identical soundwise. The SR-71 is smaller and more conducive to being used on the go, which seems to be your intention. The SR-71 does not have the AC power option, but the batteries last a long time. Go with the SR-71.

dshea

Jul 5, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 8
The XP-7 is a fine amp...but it's portable in name only.

I bought mine to introduce some portability to my HOME rig (i.e. I could move it from room to room). I never really considered it to be TRULY portable (like the SR-71). If it's your intent to use it in a truly portable environment, I'd go with the SR-71.

Jul 5, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah same thoughts here, the Sr-71 can go anywhere while the Xp-7 is more of a home based but moveable amp

Cheers

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 8
Thanks for the all the input, it looks like the SR-71 is the way to go, although I don't mind lugging around a bigger amp, at least the XP-7 anyway.
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
Thanks for the all the input,I don't mind lugging around a bigger amp, at least the XP-7 anyway.
cool.gif

Then I thought the XP-7 sound was midway between the SR-71 and the HR-2. I would say the XP-7 is a little fuller, lusher if thats a word? Than the SR-71 which I love by the way.

Both the SR-71 and the XP-7 will be a major up grade! From the amp in your signature.
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 8
I agree with Recstar's comments. The xp-7 is not a portable amp except that it can run on batteries. In terms of sound, I would be hardpressed to tell much of a difference between the two. The xp-7 does give you the opportunity to roll opamps, which will effect the sound compared to the sr-71. If you are mostly on the go, then the sr-71 is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back