SR-71 vs. PRII (LaRocco Pocket Reference II)
Apr 19, 2006 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nothin

New Head-Fier
Which is the winner?
My system will be: Indigo DJ => amp (SR-71 or PRII) => AKG K701
Is it possible not to be impressed by sound quality amped vs. unamped with these amps?
Thank you!

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:17 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothin
Which is the winner?
My system will be: Indigo DJ => amp (SR-71 or PRII) => AKG K701
Is it possible not to be impressed by sound quality amped vs. unamped with these amps?
Thank you!

as for sound quality, I think they are on the same level.
SR-71 has a little bigger sound stage, a little longer decay-but,
I'm not sure if it's natural but sounds nice for my taste-.
PRII-mine is a blackgated one-has more speed and bass slam.
considering other specification, PRII is a winner.
definitely, you need a nice amp to kick your k701's butt like PRII or SR-71
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 9
i'm very satisfied with my sr-71. as with all rsa products, the sound is very neutral -- ray doesn't want the amp to get in the way. soundstage is very good (i've found myself looking over my shoulder on occasion!) and i find it punchy and quite dynamic.

the sr-71 is the smaller of the two amps (if that is a consideration). also, the sr-71 only runs on batteries (but the battery life is incredible).

the sr-71 is $395, so the prII is more expensive. add the black gates to the prII and that'll add some more.

Apr 19, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 9
Yes you can, but realize that it is an additional expense in addition to the base price of the PRII..

Apr 20, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 9
As someone with the k701, SR71, and PRII (with blackgates) I usually find myself reaching for the PRII, although the SR71 does tend to do male vocals better. The SR71 does have a longer decay, but it's well balanced by the PRII's snappier response. Regardless, both are quite capable of driving the k701.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 9
You have the option to roll op amps with the PRII. Some of the comments above mentions longer decay and slightly bigger sound of the SR71. You can get more of that in the PRII by putting in the OPA627 (which is a nicely refined, warm, detailed, and open op amp). Otherwise the standard AD6020 that comes with the PRII is snapier and livlier as people have already indicated, which is also nice in a different way. The point is with the PRII, there is flexibility in tuning the sound to your liking where there is none with the SR71.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back