SR-71 vs. Hornet
Nov 14, 2005 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
can someone show me or do a comparison between these two amps?

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser
It seems like people are jumping all over the Hornet, even previous SR-71 owners.

I sold my SR-71 to jump on the Hornet wagon.

why would you do that? the sr-71 and hornet have quite opposite sound characteristics. Best I can summarize it:

sr-71: classical music, accoustic music, jazz, live
hornet: rock, hip hop, metal, trance, drum n bass, electronica

soundstage: sr-71 is wider, hornet is collapsed and seems to reside in the center, very much gradolike.
speed: hornet is faster and less forgiving of source and recording quality than the sr-71
general sound characteristic: sr-71 seems flatter (some may say that the mids are recessed), hornet is very mid freq forward.

sr-71 synergizes in general with hd 580/600/650, DT880, ER4P/S
hornet synergizes with HD580/600/650, grado headphones. I don't like how it sounds with the DT880 and ER4P/S.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
why would you do that? the sr-71 and hornet have quite opposite sound characteristics. Best I can summarize it:

soundstage: sr-71 is wider, hornet is collapsed and seems to reside in the center, very much gradolike.
speed: hornet is faster and less forgiving of source and recording quality than the sr-71
general sound characteristic: sr-71 seems flatter (some may say that the mids are recessed), hornet is very mid freq forward.

hornet synergizes with HD580/600/650, grado headphones. I don't like how it sounds with the DT880 and ER4P/S.

I had an opportunity to listen to both today. For the type of music I listen to I prefer the SR-71. The Hornet sounded to compressed and the bass was to predominant in my opinion. Not that it sounded bad is just that I prefer the SR-71.

Now, what would it take to talk Ray to add a charger and a gain switch to the SR-71. If he does I will be the first on the list
icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
I had an opportunity to listen to both today. For the type of music I listen to I prefer the SR-71. The Hornet sounded to compressed and the bass was to predominant in my opinion. Not that it sounded bad is just that I prefer the SR-71.

Now, what would it take to talk Ray to add a charger and a gain switch to the SR-71. If he does I will be the first on the list
icon10.gif

I prefer the sr-71 overall. But my HF-1 have never sounded better with my hornet. It is incredible how this combo sounds.

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 20
thanks for the comparison. i haven't heard the hornet but the sr-71 still amazes me every day. if the hornet had improved on it i might have jumped on the bandwagon. as it is, the sr-71 isn't going anywhere in my setup.

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 20
Yep the SR71 and the Hornet sound completely different. The SR71 to me is more of a home amp in terms of its sound, while the Hornet straddles that with qualities that work well with high ambient noise as well as the quiet of home.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

I prefer the sr-71 overall. But my HF-1 have never sounded better with my hornet. It is incredible how this combo sounds.

I might be in the minority, but I actually find the HF-1 to be a tad bit too bright with the Hornet. I prefer my SR-71 with it. Now the Sensas, on the other hand, sound absolutely amazing out the Hornet. As it stands now, I'm inclined to keep both amps since they both provide a different enough listening experience. I only have about 30-40 hours or so on the Hornet, so perhaps the sound will loosen up and mellow out a bit after a few more more hours. Just wish the SR-71 had a recharging AC power unit and a gain switch.

How many hours does your Hornet have on it?

Nov 14, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProleArtThreat
Just wish the SR-71 had a recharging AC power unit and a gain switch.

How many hours does your Hornet have on it?

actually if Ray would release a version with charger, ac, and gain switch, I would buy it right away without second thought.

Nov 15, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 20
I think Ray is twice shy on the SR-71 charging circuit. With the XP-7, and it's optional power supply, there was a low adoption rate. Now that there's the lower priced Hornet with re-charging capabilities, there's not a lot of incentive to re-vamp the Blackbird.

Nov 15, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
I think Ray is twice shy on the SR-71 charging circuit. With the XP-7, and it's optional power supply, there was a low adoption rate. Now that there's the lower priced Hornet with re-charging capabilities, there's not a lot of incentive to re-vamp the Blackbird.

The XP-7 came out first. One of the reasons why Ray made the SR-71 is because not many people bought the XP-7 dedicated PSU. IE. people just wanted a battery-powered amp.

Also, it looks like it would be hard to squeeze in the charging circuit and the DC jack on the already-compact SR-71....

Nov 15, 2005 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 20
I love the SR-71 -- and am returning the Hornet to stay with SR-71 as my portable amp, even though it's less convenient than the Hornet (no recharge capability built-in, no DC jack in case you dont want to wait for the batteries to recharge).

SR-71 has wider soundstage, voices are much richer, decay seems more natural.

It may just be my system though (MicroDAC, UE10s) though I noticed similar with MicroDAC + PS-1s, MicroDAC + Mobius 650s.

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

hornet synergizes with HD580/600/650, grado headphones.

Not disagreeing with these statements as I've never heard a Hornet....but don't you think this is a little over-generalization?

I use my SR71 with Grados all the time and feel it does an excellent job. Just because an amp is a little more laid back than another doesn't mean it can't synergize with forward phones. Maybe the synergy occurs in different ways (such as pleasant smoothness, or lifelike female voices, etc......who knows).

Also, I don't believe there's a "rule" out there that says that stuff only synergizes because it all sounds "the same". Synergy can be found to the ears of the beholder with any combination of hardware, irrespective whether they come from the same sonic camp or not.

Just some thoughts....thanks for your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back