SR-71 vs Hornet vs others in same price range
Apr 27, 2006 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gigit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am looking for an amp for my portable setup my iRiver H320 =>(new amp)=> Grado SR 225s (soon to be headpiled), or Ety ER-4s (soon), I am mainly looking for something fairly small, im not sure which one to get. I hear that the SR-71 has somewhat better sound then the Hornet, but i haven't heard either of them, any suggestions would be helpfull. This includes other portable amps around the same price range (about $400 max). Any imput on the diferences in sound, or just opinions on which is better/best for the money would be helpfull.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 15
I recommend having a builder here make you a PINT. You should probably be able to get that done for under $100 (parts cost on a PINT is ~$30-40) and I personally like it better than either of the amps you listed, although I do prefer the SR-71 to the Hornet. I actually like the Hornet's slightly higher aggression than the SR-71, as I feel it ends up being a bit more transparent sounding for my sources, but the Hornet's soundstage and depth are a bit collapsed compared to the SR-71 and there's a bit less refinement. The PINT solves both of these problems, basically, and I think may pull out a bit more detail. It's been a while since I heard the Hornet, but I distinctly remember a few things I didn't like about it which the PINT doesn't have. When talking to someone who has both a PINT and a Hornet, his impressions mirrored my own.

Apr 27, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Filburt
I recommend having a builder here make you a PINT. You should probably be able to get that done for under $100 (parts cost on a PINT is ~$30-40) and I personally like it better than either of the amps you listed, although I do prefer the SR-71 to the Hornet. I actually like the Hornet's slightly higher aggression than the SR-71, as I feel it ends up being a bit more transparent sounding for my sources, but the Hornet's soundstage and depth are a bit collapsed compared to the SR-71 and there's a bit less refinement. The PINT solves both of these problems, basically, and I think may pull out a bit more detail. It's been a while since I heard the Hornet, but I distinctly remember a few things I didn't like about it which the PINT doesn't have. When talking to someone who has both a PINT and a Hornet, his impressions mirrored my own.

I couldn't have said it better
eggosmile.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #4 of 15
thanks for your replies, aproximatley how large is the PINT? and where can i get a parts list? $100 is much better than $400 (especially right after i payed tuition
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
thanks for your replies, aproximatley how large is the PINT? and where can i get a parts list? $100 is much better than $400 (especially right after i payed tuition
biggrin.gif
)

The board itself is about the size of a stick of chewing gum. It fits in an Altoids mint tin w/ 2 9v batteries just fine. The size, as you're probably aware, is plenty well suited for portable use. The ability to use 2 9v batteries is also an advantage of this design, IMHO, over some of the more 'professional' offerings which often run on one 9v.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

So you mentioned something about a builder building one? who might that be? (i dont feel at the moment that i would be able to build one without ruining the $30-$40 worth of materials)

and again thanks everyone, today has been one long learning experience... but thats another story

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

So you mentioned something about a builder building one? who might that be? (i dont feel at the moment that i would be able to build one without ruining the $30-$40 worth of material)

and again thanks everyone, today has been one long learning experience... but thats another story

I believe MisterX is currently building these. You can contact him by sending him a PM.

Apr 27, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

So you mentioned something about a builder building one? who might that be? (i dont feel at the moment that i would be able to build one without ruining the $30-$40 worth of materials)

You could try MisterX, or maybe [Ak]Zip can do it for you. If neither of them can help, I can try building up the board for you and you'd have to case it and wire it to the jacks, which is simple stuff. As I said, though, I consider that last resort option as I can't absorb the mistakes like they probably can cost-wise.

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

You could try MisterX, or maybe [Ak]Zip can do it for you. If neither of them can help, I can try building up the board for you and you'd have to case it and wire it to the jacks, which is simple stuff. As I said, though, I consider that last resort option as I can't absorb the mistakes like they probably can cost-wise.

Is [Ak]Zip a DIY'er?

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2426
Is [Ak]Zip a DIY'er?

Yes.

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Is [Ak]Zip a DIY'er?

Yep, he's a good one too.

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Does he do work on commission? So, would I be able to get him to DIY a millett or M^3? Thanks
Sorry for thread-jacking.......

heh its all good, im still using this thread to learn....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back