SR-71 vs. Hornet - again..
Apr 19, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Biff Wellington /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, it seems as though the decision has been made for me. TTVJ is now out of stock of SR-71s and will not be getting more until August. The Hornet it is! Although, now something else worries me - if TTVJ isn't getting SR-71s until August, and Ray doesn't do anything other than simply send TTVJ more amps to sell, and the Hornet requires some of the same missing hardware as the SR-71, am I going to be waiting until August for a Hornet?

These are the things I think about to avoid studying. It's fairly effective.

200 Hornets will be avaialable by the end of the month.
Ray Samuels

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #33 of 41
Awwwe!
tongue.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #34 of 41
Bad news.... my SR71 just fell out of my pocket and onto concrete

Good news... still worky :)

You can't tell which side the amp landed unless you really look. It sounds even better after it hit the ground!!!.... don't believe me?? try it for yourself :wink:

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #35 of 41
I owned an SR-71 last year, and currently own a Hornet. I prefer the sound of the Hornet (mine's one of the early ones though). To me, that slight upfrontness makes the music I listen to (alot of rock) much more involving. And I can tell this difference with just a pcdp and an iPod. The added gain switch is the best improvement for me over the SR-71. The Hornet even sounds great on musical scores, better than the SR-71 sounded (I'm going on memory), but the SR-71 is still an extremely solid choice. I seriously don't think you could go wrong w/ either. I'm actually keeping my eyes peeled for a used SR-71 just so I can have one of each since they're so top notch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by b7nguyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran into the same dilemma and this is what I ended up doing....

1. ALO Cotton Dock
2. IPOD 80 gig
3. Senn HD-580
4. (Hornet Cancelled order)
5. SR71
6. 4 X ACCUPOWER 9V 270 mAh NiMH Rechargeables
7. MAHA POWEREX MH-C490F 9 Volt (9V) Battery Charger

My reason being that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I didn't get the best within my price range :)

If you think like me, which it sounds like you do... get the SR71. You might not be able to notice the difference now, but if you consider getting a DAC in the future, you will be tempted to upgrade (and upgrade you will!!!)

BTW, I'm still burning in the setup.....how long does it usually take??? Anybody know?

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on the Hornet. I do a lot of stationary listening while at work, and the benefit of running off the mains is a big draw for me. I thought about doing the charger thing - a lot. I like the size of the SR71, and wonder if the Hornet/TH are even too small (such a thing?)
smily_headphones1.gif

I think you'll be very happy with your Hornet. It truly is an excellent and extremely versatile amp. I can't really think of a better amp for varying usage situations, and I'm very happy with the sound I have gotten from every pair of headphones I've used with it. I'm currently awaiting the arrival of my new AKG K271S, and think I'm in for a nice treat with the K271S + Hornet combo.

Please don't ignore the other comments in this thread about the gain switch on the Hornet. This is definitely one of the strongest selling points of the amp, in my opinion, especially for those using several different headphones and IEMs with the same amp.

About the size of the Hornet, you may be a little surprised at how little it is. It certainly is little, but I will never consider it too little, even for stationary home use. All of the jacks, switches, and volume control knob are very well laid out and easy and convenient to use.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #37 of 41
My opinion about size....

I don't think I would carry in my pocket anything too much bigger than my ipod . If I was looking for TRUE portability, I would get the Tomahawk + IEM. Since I already have HUGE headphones and not looking for mobility other than to carry my gear from A to B, I chose the SR71 hoping it will be the better performer. A lot of people here think it would be and thats all I can go on.

So to recap, if you are gonna do military presses and jumping jacks, get the Tomahawk. If not but you still want mobility, get the bigger but sweeter (I hope :p) of the bunch, the SR-71.

Sorry Hornet fans, but I'm not at the level to get BOTH Hornet and SR-71. But.... Tomahawk + SR71.... now theres a thought!!! Any Tomahawk owners looking to sell???

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #38 of 41
I consider my Hornet to be my perfect portable component. Its the one device I have no desire to replace...cant say that about many audiophile pieces..

Other than maybe a more textured volume knob, this once can be a bit slippery in a storage bag, its perfect.

sound rocks

built like all of Rays stuff.. like a tank!

its small... I would not want it any smaller or my IPOD would not even sit on top.

charges its 9v internally

GAIN.. cant say enough about this feature
- Low - Shure E500s
- Med- Grado 80s
-High - Senn HD600s

Apr 20, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #39 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on the Hornet. I do a lot of stationary listening while at work, and the benefit of running off the mains is a big draw for me. I thought about doing the charger thing - a lot. I like the size of the SR71, and wonder if the Hornet/TH are even too small (such a thing?)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm surprised at mrarroyo's statement about the Micro coming in a distant third. I love my micro, and if it's a distant third to the RSA portables, then I think I'm in for a treat. In fact if the RSA is that good, I may end up moving from the micro for something else from Ray. We'll see. I wouldn't mind a nice raptor on my desk at home.
600smile.gif

For now I had to choose or the OCD would eat me alive.
blink.gif

So now I wait. I hate to wait...

GAD

Hi, we all hear different. Maybe I prefer the RSA house sound. Although I did not like the Micro Amp w/ the 2006 DM I loved their Micro Dac
icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #40 of 41
Perhaps a haiku or three may help:

which amp may be best
determine with the money
pried from your wallet

both planes fly in air
sound of one or another
will never, ever fatigue

hornet or other
yet could not avert my eyes
from b-52