SR-71 vs. Hornet - again..
Apr 18, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 41
Somehow I think you're going to end up with the SR-71, but I will just comment that to me it would be a HUGE inconvenience to buy a separate 9V battery charger and keep charging up batteries or buying disposables (they aren't cheap) and endlessly swapping batteries in the amp. I opened the back panel of my Hornet the day I received it to install a single 9V rechargeable battery, and it will likely be years before I have to even touch the thumb screws on the amp again, whereas you will be fiddling with that panel almost as much as you fiddle with the controls of the amp (slight exaggeration)
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #17 of 41
We can always dream of a SR-71 that's rechargeable and has a gain switch
smily_headphones1.gif

I am on this as well, I really like the spacious feeling of wide soundstage and the details are very important as well. Jaska's point struck me very hard. If I have to spend so much on batteries.. then this is very inconvinient.

Also I never found out what is "M" hornet's difference with the hornet. SQ and component wise.

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nenso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We can always dream of a SR-71 that's rechargeable and has a gain switch
smily_headphones1.gif

I am on this as well, I really like the spacious feeling of wide soundstage and the details are very important as well. Jaska's point struck me very hard. If I have to spend so much on batteries.. then this is very inconvinient.

Also I never found out what is "M" hornet's difference with the hornet. SQ and component wise.

Then it woud be the SR-71.1beta

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 41
I have to agree with the comment about having to change the batteries. 9v really aren't cheap. So even if the battery life is decent, the SR-71 costs more in the long run. I absolutely love the sound, but unfortunately I can't compare it against the Hornet since I haven't heard it. Do you have anyone near you who you can audition with? That would be the ideal thing to do.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something is tugging at me that the SR71 is the better choice though. Size isn't a big deal, but sound quality is.

GAD

I own an SR71 and have compared it to a Hornet (not M) at length. Used straight from my H140 lineout and a pair of UE5c's, HF-1's, or KSC35's...the two amps sound is in a virtual dead heat (both excellent). However, once I got a MicroDAC and particularly after borrowing a friend's RS-2, the difference became quite obvious to me.

The Hornet is more upfront and sounds slightly flatter and "shouty" as compared to the SR71. The SR71 gave a lot more sense of space and everything seemed more genuine.

They are both great amps, but even with the Hornet being more portable-convenient...the SR-71 is still worth owning based on it's better performance IMO.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #21 of 41
The SR-71 sounds like an interesting and worthy amp (SQ-wise), to be sure, but for its price and practical limitations, I personally would be far more willing to save $96 and buy a HeadRoom Micro Amp w/Desktop Module. At least you can run it on mains power.

Even if I were convinced that the SR-71 sounded different than the Hornet (and I have only heard the Hornet), it would be another matter whether this difference was a favorable one with my headphones or not, and still I don't see the SR-71 as either a good portable amp or a good home amp because of the 2 x 9V (no recharging, no mains power) limitation. I think the Hornet is quite the ideal amp for my needs, but the SR-71 just doesn't seem to fill any market niche that I can think of. What could actually make it more impractical?

Apr 18, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #22 of 41
If your source is an iPod, I think you will be hard-pressed to distinguish the two (even using lossless files). When I auditioned Ray's amps, I tried both with my iPod and could not distinguish the SR-71 from the Hornet. This is exactly what Ray told me. He will tell you that all his amps sound very similar to each other and that the differences are only apparent with excellent sources. Maybe that's why he's recommending a Hornet.

Apr 18, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your source is an iPod, I think you will be hard-pressed to distinguish the two (even using lossless files). When I auditioned Ray's amps, I tried both with my iPod and could not distinguish the SR-71 from the Hornet. This is exactly what Ray told me. He will tell you that all his amps sound very similar to each other and that the differences are only apparent with excellent sources. Maybe that's why he's recommending a Hornet.

x2, that sounds like a Ray quote.. As a matter of fact the Hornet sounded very flat and 2D on my iPod, it wasn't until I moved up sourcewise that I started noticing how nice it sounded (or rather amplified the signal). I assume if you add a MicroDAC to your rig you might notice the differences more (?)... well either way, they're both excellent amps, you'll be happy with either one!

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-71 sounds like an interesting and worthy amp (SQ-wise), to be sure, but for its price and practical limitations, I personally would be far more willing to save $96 and buy a HeadRoom Micro Amp w/Desktop Module. At least you can run it on mains power.

Even if I were convinced that the SR-71 sounded different than the Hornet (and I have only heard the Hornet), it would be another matter whether this difference was a favorable one with my headphones or not, and still I don't see the SR-71 as either a good portable amp or a good home amp because of the 2 x 9V (no recharging, no mains power) limitation. I think the Hornet is quite the ideal amp for my needs, but the SR-71 just doesn't seem to fill any market niche that I can think of. What could actually make it more impractical?

I have extensively heard all three amps (SR71, HeadRoom Micro Amp, and The Hornet). Soundwise the SR71 is the clear winner with The Hornet a close 2nd. Sadly the Micro Amp was a distant 3rd (w/ the Desktop Module).

From a convenience point of view I would say to get the Tomahawk, after 700 hours or so of burn in it sounds almost like the Hornet "M" and you get over 300 hours of battery life. Now if you are going to use it with a great source like an iModded iPod and use it transportable then get the SR71.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 41
I ran into the same dilemma and this is what I ended up doing....

1. ALO Cotton Dock
2. IPOD 80 gig
3. Senn HD-580
4. (Hornet Cancelled order)
5. SR71
6. 4 X ACCUPOWER 9V 270 mAh NiMH Rechargeables
7. MAHA POWEREX MH-C490F 9 Volt (9V) Battery Charger

My reason being that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I didn't get the best within my price range :)

If you think like me, which it sounds like you do... get the SR71. You might not be able to notice the difference now, but if you consider getting a DAC in the future, you will be tempted to upgrade (and upgrade you will!!!)

BTW, I'm still burning in the setup.....how long does it usually take??? Anybody know?

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #26 of 41
I just pulled the trigger on the Hornet. I do a lot of stationary listening while at work, and the benefit of running off the mains is a big draw for me. I thought about doing the charger thing - a lot. I like the size of the SR71, and wonder if the Hornet/TH are even too small (such a thing?)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm surprised at mrarroyo's statement about the Micro coming in a distant third. I love my micro, and if it's a distant third to the RSA portables, then I think I'm in for a treat. In fact if the RSA is that good, I may end up moving from the micro for something else from Ray. We'll see. I wouldn't mind a nice raptor on my desk at home.
600smile.gif

For now I had to choose or the OCD would eat me alive.
blink.gif

So now I wait. I hate to wait...

GAD

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by GAD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just pulled the trigger on the Hornet. I do a lot of stationary listening while at work, and the benefit of running off the mains is a big draw for me. I thought about doing the charger thing - a lot. I like the size of the SR71, and wonder if the Hornet/TH are even too small (such a thing?)
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm surprised at mrarroyo's statement about the Micro coming in a distant third. I love my micro, and if it's a distant third to the RSA portables, then I think I'm in for a treat. In fact if the RSA is that good, I may end up moving from the micro for something else from Ray. We'll see. I wouldn't mind a nice raptor on my desk at home.
600smile.gif

For now I had to choose or the OCD would eat me alive.
blink.gif

So now I wait. I hate to wait...

GAD

I don't find the Micro to be that far behind a Hornet, if it is, in fact behind. All of this is subjective. I am sure that there are those out there that like the Micro just as much if not more. You can only trust your own ears.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 41
Owned both Hornet "M" and SR-71. Worlds' of difference. Ray himself has stated he didn't want recharging in the SR-71 due to sonic degradation--or words to that effect. And the batteries last an obscenely long time anway--disposables Lithiums for weeks. Check Ray's site for exact times. I use NiMH rechargeables for about 30 hrs or so. and this thing drives Ety, Vibe and Beyer 880s wonderfully.

So I love my SR-71. Also have it for sale, but that's another story--need money to buy ALO Imod package, else I wouldn't be parting with it.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #29 of 41
Well, it seems as though the decision has been made for me. TTVJ is now out of stock of SR-71s and will not be getting more until August. The Hornet it is! Although, now something else worries me - if TTVJ isn't getting SR-71s until August, and Ray doesn't do anything other than simply send TTVJ more amps to sell, and the Hornet requires some of the same missing hardware as the SR-71, am I going to be waiting until August for a Hornet?

These are the things I think about to avoid studying. It's fairly effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back