SR-71 vs. Hornet - again..
Apr 18, 2007 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry for beating a dead horse here, but I need a kick in the head to help me along.

From everything I've read, the Hornet is the choice for me. Even Ray himself says so.

Something is tugging at me that the SR71 is the better choice though. Size isn't a big deal, but sound quality is.

Logically, the Hornet is the right choice. It solves all my problems - it's got a gain switch, is sexy as hell, runs on AC, recharges while playing, is supposed to sound amazing - perfection!

Emotionally, the SR71 is calling me.

Of course all of this is stupid because I haven't heard either of them.

I need a therapist. Can anyone help me? I think I need to just order the Hornet and get on with my life...

Thanks for listening (reading I guess)...

GAD

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 41
Ok, I'm gonna make this Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal simple!

JUST GET THE F@$@%$#^%$#^ING GO#$%$%#%#$%MN

[size=large] SR-71[/size]

biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #3 of 41
Well, what is it you are afraid might perhaps disappoint you with the Hornet? Is it its size that worries you? Cause I can tell you that, whether I use it at home or on the go and whether it feeds either my Vibes, PX-100s or K701s, this little monster is an absolutely incredible performer. I haven't had the pleasure of hearing the SR-71 but can definitely vouch for the Hornet as a top notch amp...
Hope that helps a little.

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #4 of 41
When ever in doubt get the most expensive one. You will never be disappointed but a little lighter on the wallet. LOL

Apr 18, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 41
I am attracted to the SR- 71 but what I don't find appealing is that it does not have gain switches. I find that adjusting gain switches to lower levels can be nice to reduce the harsh volume attacks of cresendos from my Hornet. I find that attractive. And in that regard, the Hornet is desirable.

However, I have no heard the SR-71 but maybe the volume knob has good gain control. I Don't know. Maybe best to buy both and return one if possible after auditioning.

If I were to consider the SR-71, I would probably get the Lorroco instead because I think it may have a better gain control but I could be wrong. To me, good gain control is attractive.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #6 of 41
Follow what the Wookie above said. That’s why I got the “M” Hornet --- else I would have chosen the PRmkII over the SR-71. [Gain + Battery Chargation + Size. If I didn’t care about those factors I would have taken advantage of that extra PR Larry is trying to get rid of.]

Another tip: Stay away from this site as much as you can. Head-Fi will fester an obsessive compulsive streak in you. Next thing you know your bank account, or wife, is going to be yelling “******”!! Not only will you have an “M” Hornet on the way, the TTVJ Portable Millett you just ordered, a place in Xin SM-IV que, and pre-paid a spot of on elusive Diablo list that you’ll soon regret… Just remember if you stick around here it will only get worse!

But still, like a crack-heads, we love Head-Fi and keep coming back for more…

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When ever in doubt get the most expensive one. You will never be disappointed but a little lighter on the wallet. LOL

But in this case the more expensive one is 2 years older, less portable, and doesn't have recharging capability or a gain switch.

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But in this case the more expensive one is 2 years older, less portable, and doesn't have recharging capability or a gain switch.

Hint, it's older and STILL more expensive!
wink.gif

So, obvious choice: SR-71! It holds it's value!

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

I thought you were buying for the sound? My bad! Age has nothing to do with the sound. If it sounds good, it sounds good IMO.

Apr 18, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 41
I'm going through this myself. However, after reading (I think Morph's comment) that the Hornet was better for Rock, that settled it for me. Regardless, I'll probably end up getting the SR-71 to celebrate another round of final exams being done, then compare both while waiting for the Supermicro.

So, I'm going to leech off of previous advice that said if your thing is Rock, Hornet, and if your thing is classical, SR-71.

A month from now, I'll have both. Damn this place...

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hint, it's older and STILL more expensive!
wink.gif

So, obvious choice: SR-71! It holds it's value!

HINT: Ray doesn't ever change his prices! More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better,either. Ray himself will tell you the Hornet M and SR-71 sound alike(as he told me).

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

HINT: Ray doesn't ever change his prices! More expensive doesn't necessarily mean better,either. Ray himself will tell you the Hornet M and SR-71 sound alike(as he told me).

Does that make sense to you? Someone would design two different amps, different prices and they sound exactly alike? He told me the same thing, but I owned each of them and they have their distinct personalities...
wink.gif

They have a different topology ...

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that make sense to you? Someone would design two different amps, different prices and they sound exactly alike? He told me the same thing, but I owned each of them and they have their distinct personalities...
wink.gif

They have a different topology ...

The only difference I noticed between the two was that the Hornet M has more bass presence, but we all hear differently. If Ray says they sound the same, then to him they do. I'm not going to question what the manufacturer hears. As for the pricing, the SR-71 was released when the portable amp market was incredibly small compared to now, hence the $395 pricetag, and it is a fact he never lowers prices. I've owned all 4 of Ray's portable amps (original Hornet and M version), and I couldn't say definitively that one was "better" than the rest.

Apr 18, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #15 of 41
I never said one was BETTER. I merely said each one shines with a particular genre, and is better suited for that genre. To each his own. I immediately heard a difference going from a hornet (burned in) to an SR-71, for my needs the sr-71 suited me better, IMHO it was better at presentation, whereas the Hornet seemed narrower and more in your face. At this point it's up to the OP to decide what he wants, get either one, if you dont like it, you can sell it, since rsa amps always seem to be in demand!
wink.gif

As far as price difference, I was being facetious about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back