SR-71 question
Feb 3, 2005 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

psychogentoo

100+ Head-Fier
Just received the SR-71 today.

The first thing I noticed is a "pop" sound when I turned it one with my iPod and UE10Pros plugged in (the amp and my head). I'm not sure if thats supposed to be normal. I made sure that the volume was turned all the way down.

The second thing is is when the volume is turned all the way down while the iPod is playing, I still hear the music meaning its not dead silent. Is that normal for the SR-71?

Otherwise, no complaints. It sounds great with the UE10Pro.

thanks.

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 17
the pop is normal, no need to worry. what i usually do is turn on my amp before i have my headphones plugged in, as i find the pop to be a little annoying.

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 17
The pop thing is normal. As for the second thing, not sure. May have to do with the ue's "highly-revealing" nature. (inherrent in most canals).

Feb 3, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 17
cool!

thanks for the quick replies!!!

Feb 3, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 17
For what it's worth, I can also hear the music when I have the volume all the way down on my SuperMacro, attached to the iPod lineout via Sik Din. But I don't think there's any problem with that.

Feb 3, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 17
I hear nothing when my Sr71 is turned down. It may just be the way the knob's screwed on??
blink.gif
I really love how this thing sounds at even the lowest of the lowest volume levels. Maybe yours isn't positioned at absolute 0 ?? Like, maybe it's stopping at .25 or something and could be remedied by repositioning the knoby...if that's even possible with this design...I'm no engineer. Ask Ray!

Feb 3, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #8 of 17
I'm thinking it may have to do with the impedence of the UE10Pro which is 13.3 ohms. I don't hear anything when the MS-2 or the HD650s are hooked up when the volume is turned all the way down.

any other users UE10Pro or headphones of similar impedence having the same minor issue with the SR-71?

I will ask Ray about it as well.

thanks

Feb 3, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 17
I have the same set up you do . Its ipod,sik din,earcandy,sr-71,ue-10. and mine has the same pop and mine also has a very slight bit of volume when its turned completely down. I dont think this is a problem. I never thought twice about it untill I read this. I couldnt be happier with my set up. so I wouldnt worry about it. You have a top notch portable "rig".

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 17
the pop is a bit scary but it wont damage anything. the grado RA-1 pops way harder and is a lot scarier - but i still dont think it hurts the gear - your ears maybe!

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 17
I just got mine, too! I'm currently using it. Wow. And I've only been using it for the last half hour or so.

I hear the popping sound but I don't hear anything with the volume turned down to the minimum.

I do have the porta corda (I love what it does with the etys as well) and that one lets a little music out even when powered off. According to Dr. Jann Meier and everyone else, that was normal.

Enjoy...

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Got a quick reply from Ray regarding my questions. Great customer service, I must say.

The "pop" is normal as everyone here has pointed out.

I know Kirosia has mentioned it but I had to ask anyways. The reason I'm hearing music when volume is at 0 is because of the sensitivity of the headphones and is normal.

thanks everyone!

Feb 3, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Here is the email from Ray:

Quote:

You are correct regarding the pop when power is turned on, IT IS NORMAL with
all solid state when having on/off switch. Thats why my HR-2 amp has no
on/off & it is always on. But remember it is a Home base amp with power
supply.
When using portable you have to have an on/off. My best advice is turn the
amp on first before listening to you cans.
The second question is also NORMAL due to the sensitivity of your
headphones. Nothing is wrong with either one, nothing to worry about, just
put it to the your listening level & enjoy your music.

Quote:

The pop is in all the SS amps eccept for
the solid state that uses relay to ground the signal until the amp has
settled.
This feature is only in home base amps also it is in my Stealth headphone
amp & not in portables that I know of.

Feb 3, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 17
I like the pop...sounds like "all systems go."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back