SR-71 & iPod - A Sweet Combination
Dec 8, 2004 at 11:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

skr

100+ Head-Fier
The SR-71 coupled with an iPod is, in my opinion, an outstanding portable combination. I’ve had this little amp for about a week now, and what a difference it’s made in my listening enjoyment. I listen to music almost exclusively through a 3G iPod with Ety 4Ps out of the headphone jack. When I added the SR-71 to the mix, I used a Sik connector to connect the iPod to the amp, and the P to S cable to convert the 4P to a 4S. Wow! The music is more detailed and defined, clearer and crisper in nature. I noticed nuances that I’d not noticed before.

I’ve used a couple of portable amps before, but the SR-71 is in a class by itself. It is well made and worth every penny I paid for it. Refer to Tuberoller’s excellent review of this amp if you want further information.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81150

Dec 8, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 16
SKR welcome to Team Ipod to Sik Din to SR71 to p-to-s converter!

where we differ is probably my KSC-35 to your etys, and my xin right angle mini adapter plug to your mini to mini cable. But it's all good!

Dec 9, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
SKR welcome to Team Ipod to Sik Din to SR71 to p-to-s converter!

where we differ is probably my KSC-35 to your etys, and my xin right angle mini adapter plug to your mini to mini cable. But it's all good!

Not to threadjack, but isn't the SR 71 a tad overkill for KSC-35s?

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skr
The SR-71 coupled with an iPod is, in my opinion, an outstanding portable combination. I’ve had this little amp for about a week now, and what a difference it’s made in my listening enjoyment. I listen to music almost exclusively through a 3G iPod with Ety 4Ps out of the headphone jack. When I added the SR-71 to the mix, I used a Sik connector to connect the iPod to the amp, and the P to S cable to convert the 4P to a 4S. Wow! The music is more detailed and defined, clearer and crisper in nature. I noticed nuances that I’d not noticed before.

I’ve used a couple of portable amps before, but the SR-71 is in a class by itself. It is well made and worth every penny I paid for it. Refer to Tuberoller’s excellent review of this amp if you want further information.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=81150

I completely agree. I am so pleased with my portable set-up as you obviously are...

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 16
Glad to hear you say that. I just ordered an SR-71 and Earcandy cable, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. (Heh, I'll have the exact same setup, right down to the Ety 4ps with the P-to-S cable!) I was thinking about going with Xin's Supermacro, but in the end, I decided to go with the SR-71.

Dec 9, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 16
I've been doing some research into what pertable amp to buy and i've never seen a bad post about the sr-71. Its nice to see a more or less homemade amp get such good reviews. I think i'm going to get one.

Dec 9, 2004 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 16
See my sig for combos that I like with it. I think the SR71s detail/warmth give & take is just about perfect. It was the first amp I heard that didn't feel like a compromise for its size. And it truly comes so close to the HR2.

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 16
To answer the above, the KSC-35 and SR71 combo isn't overkill - it's juuuuuuuuust right!

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
To answer the above, the KSC-35 and SR71 combo isn't overkill - it's juuuuuuuuust right!

And it leaves him room to upgrade in the future
etysmile.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
And it leaves him room to upgrade in the future
etysmile.gif

i wouldn't be adverse to stealing John's new streetstyle prototypes next time we do a grado nyc meet...

Dec 9, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 16
The SR-71 looks like an awesome amp! Only wish I had the $395.
frown.gif

Oh well, the XIN SuperMacro should be a good match with my Senn HD595's and iPod.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dc_guy
Glad to hear you say that. I just ordered an SR-71 and Earcandy cable, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. (Heh, I'll have the exact same setup, right down to the Ety 4ps with the P-to-S cable!) I was thinking about going with Xin's Supermacro, but in the end, I decided to go with the SR-71.

Welcome to Head-Fi and our condolences to your wallet.

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 16
Thanks! Yeah, my wallet is still hurting.
etysmile.gif

I got the Emmeline SR-71 today and have begun burning it and the Earcandy cable (and I guess, the 4P-to-S cable) in. Wow, the SR-71 makes a HUGE difference with jazz right off the bat. The improvements in clarity and the separation of instruments are already worth it. It's more subtle with electronica and rock so far...

A question for the experienced SR-71 users: Do batteries make a big difference in the sound of the amp? (I'm currently using run-of-the-mill Energizer 9Vs.) I was planning to buy rechargable 9.6V Plainviews for economic reasons, but do they improve the sound of the SR-71 as well?

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #15 of 16
i use those plainviews - imho they keep it juiced up higher until the battery dies - then the batt croaks and its time to recharge. in the long run you save $$, and it's better than an alky that juices up in the beginning, then starts its slow crappy decline until you hear distortion for a few hours until the thing finally croaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back