SR-71 / Hornet + E500?
Sep 9, 2006 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
Anybody combining a SR-71 or Hornet with the E500s?

I'm thinking about finally picking up a portable amp for my 60gb ipod video and E500's...but I'm not exactly sure which one to get.

I know that Ray makes some awesome amps, but I just don't know about which specific combination.

Anyone using them together? How much of a difference are we talking? Anyone have a better recomendation for pairing with the E500? Anyone have a used SR-71 or Hornet they want to get rid of
wink.gif
?

Sep 9, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 22
I listened to the E500, along with the Hornet and Nano at the National Meet, and was very surprised and impressed. I really would have assumed that Shure would have demoed the E500's with an amp like the SR-71 that [I find] delivers a more balanced, accurate tonal range. However, the Hornet/E500 combination delivered accurate mids and bass (not bloated or overstated), to the point where I realized that this set of IEMs would be the most versatile that I know of. You really need to try both, but I thoroughly the acoustic and rock tracks with the E500s.

Sep 9, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 22
I'm currently burning in my new Hornet with ALO Cotton Dock cables, 5G iPod and E500. I understand that the Hornet doesn't mature fully until you burn-in at least 200-300 hours. All I can say is that it sounds great now after about 50 hours. (It sounded better even after 15 hours.)

I've never heard the SR 71, but I don't think that you would be disappointed with either.

Tuarreg

Sep 10, 2006 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 22
I have been using my SR-71 with my E500s almost exclusively. They seem to have a great synergy to my ears, and I strongly prefer it to straight out of the iPod. The Hornet standard model has a different sound--a little more in your face than laid back (these terms are not meant to be derogatory, only descriptive)--but the Hornet can also be purchased with a mod that makes it more SR-71-like. I was supposed to do a swap with Tyrion/JP11801 where I sent them my SR-71 for a 3-way comparo with their two different Hornets but we never did it. Look around for more comparisons, though.

Sep 13, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 22
Yesterday I received my e500s and am burning them in with an SR71. So far, so good, but I haven't done any critical listening. That said, the detail and bass are impressive at first listen...

I'm hoping to combine a miniature home reference system (I don't have much room in my cabinet) with a high-end portable system. Sources are the 60GB video iPod and the Arcam CD33, which is a pretty nice source.

More observations later...

Oct 10, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 22
what about the m hornet with the e500? can anyone share some impressions?

Oct 12, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 22
I use the following rig:

iRiver H340 -> 75 ohms -> SR-71 -> E500

The 75 ohms is there to reduce the hiss from the iRiver relative to the signal. Usually I go light without the SR-71. Using the amp adds extra detail and dynamics particularly in the mids and highs.

Frankly, it's hard to beat the SR-71 for sound and tonal quality, engineering and customer service (I haven't heard Hornet, yet).

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 22
I have the SR-71 and the E500 but currently face some SR-71 hissing with the E500 (and the W5000, with all other headphones the SR-71 is totally silent). I am figuring out some tweaks like a new set of rechargeables and demagnetization, if this does not work I will send it over to Ray who assured me that there should be no hissing with the E500.

Oct 12, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richter Di
I have the SR-71 and the E500 but currently face some SR-71 hissing with the E500 (and the W5000, with all other headphones the SR-71 is totally silent). I am figuring out some tweaks like a new set of rechargeables and demagnetization, if this does not work I will send it over to Ray who assured me that there should be no hissing with the E500.

Do you have the high-gain SR-71? If so, that will contribute significantly to hiss with IEMs (only). If it's already the low-gain version, perhaps Ray can find a solution.

(The Hornet has zero hiss with my ES2 IEMs, unless I crank it up to deafening 2:00 or higher, and I can't listen higher than 9:00 with the ES2.)

Oct 12, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Do you have the high-gain SR-71? If so, that will contribute significantly to hiss with IEMs (only). If it's already the low-gain version, perhaps Ray can find a solution.

(The Hornet has zero hiss with my ES2 IEMs, unless I crank it up to deafening 2:00 or higher, and I can't listen higher than 9:00 with the ES2.)

To be honest I do not know this. My serial-number is 6247. I will ask Ray concerning the high gain. He allready admitted to check my SR-71. But sending it back and forth from Germany to US with post costs on my side (approx 50 US$), customs to be decleared (to get it back with no extra costs) and some weeks to wait, I have not done it up to now.

Oct 13, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #15 of 22
I just got a new Hornet today. I now have the Hornet and the AE-1 and will use both as my portable amps along with my E500s for commuting and my E5s for exercise. Out of the box the Hornet is gorgeous, so small but well-built, and the sound is big, warm and very good. No hiss. Excellent with the E500s and my iPod. I am glad I have these options from these excellent amp makers...(!).

- walk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back