SR-71 Has Arrived
Sep 8, 2004 at 6:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

refault

100+ Head-Fier
Well, what can I say besides "complete bliss."??

I've been playing the amp non-stop for the past 5 hours and already hear some of the fine details coming out of the wood work due to burn in. Using it with the Zu Pivot and my Terratec I can say that my HD-595's actually sound good and not "bloated and muddy" like it did with my Meta42. My SR-225's are much more upfront and lively, with a fuller bass extension and clearer highs that don't become overpowered by the mids as much as I felt with the Meta42.

The design is nice except for the fact that when there are no batteries in the compartment the front panel and circuit board are wobbly. Other than that I really do enjoy the small and clean design of the SR-71.

The gain is set relativly low, at 6. With my computer setup I need to turn the volume between 11-2 o'clock with my HD-595/SR-225's (it depends on the recording) for adequet volume levels. I guess this is alright. With my Karma dock + the SR-71 it seems to be adequet enough between 9-11 o'clock (with my HD-595's.)

More impressions will come later as burn in (both on my part and the component part) progresses.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 10
I agree fantastic sound, i have had mine for about a month. The
supermono will have to go some to better this
etysmile.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeo
amps need burn in? jeez I'm a newb....

IMO all things need a burn-in. And that's from two point of views too. Firstly assembly lined products or their parts have that extra harshness brand new. They haven't been used at all to the purpose they were meant to. It may be a frictional thing or just some other kind of harshness.

Secondly the user has to be burned-in to the product. When you are used to your old stuff or you haven't had any experience with the kind of product you just bought it always seems a little strange. Human being is a fast adapter but it always takes time to get comfy with new things.

Just my two cents
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Congrats! Oh yes, the SR71 brings out the full depth and dimension that the original recording has to offer, and puts its own smooth flavoring to boot. The detail and liveliness that this amp cranks out brings new enjoyment from long-heard older albums. Enjoy!

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 10
I heard Ray's at the Nashville meet. For something so small it really holds it's own. I was absolutely impressed... especially when we were A/Bing amps. It sounded just as good as a few more expensive ones. Funny... the 71 and Supermono were both present at the Berkley meet yet no one has posted impressions of them both.

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #7 of 10
Am jealous.

How does it sound with your Eggos? I know they don't need amping in the volume sense, but I'm curious how they'd change with an amp.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman
I heard Ray's at the Nashville meet. For something so small it really holds it's own. I was absolutely impressed... especially when we were A/Bing amps. It sounded just as good as a few more expensive ones. Funny... the 71 and Supermono were both present at the Berkley meet yet no one has posted impressions of them both.

there's something on the forum ( side by side review )
from what i read ..they stand side by side , the sr71 being quite a bit superior in terms of overall performance

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
there's something on the forum ( side by side review )
from what i read ..they stand side by side , the sr71 being quite a bit superior in terms of overall performance

Where did it say that?

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 10
A few pictures of the amp for now:

sr71knob.jpg

sr71front.jpg

sr71back.jpg

sr71backleft.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back