SR-71 first impressions
Jul 14, 2005 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pingles

100+ Head-Fier
Oh my god.

Ok, firstly, I'm using it with the PocketDock line out and my Sensaphonic T2XS earphones, connected via. a Moon Audio Blue Dragon mini-to-mini.

Secondly, oh my god.

I ordered it from Todd on Sunday evening, and it arrives some time today (Wednesday) so that when I get home from a great evening of dinner and wine with friends to find that it's waiting at my door (safely inside my flat). I rush out to the corner shop (at gone midnight) to get 2x 9V batteries that I can use with it to get it started asap and see whether everything that's said about the SR-71 is true.

It's now approximately 12:30am, I'm due in at work in about 8 hours time and my iPod is about to die on battery, but I don't care. I'm currently listening to Stokowski's recordings of Debussy's Nocturnes on Decca (ripped using Apple lossless encoding) and it's absolute bliss.

The SR-71 straight off just provides depth and texture. Not that these recordings necessarily lacked it, they just sound fuller now, more complete, more natural. Admittedly I am sat down in my lounge with the powerbook on my lap, but the SR71 will be most definitely in my pocket on my commute tomorrow and i'll be sure to glady fill everyone I meet with the virtues of this little powerhouse.

My only (marginal) concern is that for reasonable volume I have the knob at approximately 10-11 O'clock with my Sensas (if not slightly around 12:00 for some recordings). I don't know whether my more powerful source (i.e. my XB940 stand-alone SACD source) will provide enough power for my regular desktop setup of the HD650s, but I'll get around to that in good time once I've ordered a 1/4->1/8 converter.

Right now, I'm marvelling at the presentation of the SR-71. Just switching over to Clair de Lune on Leon Fleischer's great record Two Hands, the presentation is stunning. Notes have a greater sense of decay and presence, everything just sounds as it should - natural as can be. In fact, other tracks on the same record sound absolutely stunning.

There's background hiss but I noticed that originally, what's different is that the rest of the music is truly engaging. Everything seems to have greater timbre and texture, notes have more noticeable decay and rhythm, everything sounds fuller and more pleasant.

I know some have been taken as being overly zealous on the "RSA house sound", or simply over-keen on RSA amps. This is my first RSA amp (and to be honest, probably my last), but what a purchase. I was happy with my PPA for my HD650s, but the change over the regular headphone out was relatively small in comparison. To me now, the change between an iPod headphone out and T2XS and using the SR71 is far greater than the benefit from the PPA and HD650s. I wouldn't say I was ready to get rid of my HD650s, but I wouldn't want anyone taking the SR-71 away from my portable setup!

Ok, I could've sworn I ordered the minimalistic black with black lettering from Todd, but in the end I received the untainted silver with black lettering. I actually quite like it. What's unequivocal is that I don't want to see this amp taken from my side already. From the pictures you imagine a relatively large unit, in actual fact, it's extremely small and very well put together. Definitely something that could withstand substantial beatings. Makes you wonder actually how small a SuperMacro is. To be honest though, I'm not tempted.

It's unbelievably small, and definitely small enough to fit in the back pocket of my trousers on my commute. So far it's confirmed it's place in my daily commuting arsenal, all that's left for it to do is persuade me that it can take over from my PPA for full-blown desktop responsibilities. Maybe I'm a little scared to let it do so. Maybe I'll just find an extra $390 in my wallet to fund both and let them both do what they do.

Until then, I'm just going to let then notes of Clair de Lune gently play over my soul and rock me to sleep. In the meantime, if anyone wanted convincing over whether it was worth investing in portable amplification, let me loudly pronounce "yay", and suggest the trial of the SR-71. With amazingly generous trial offers from the likes of TTVJ, you can hardly lose. I guarantee even a limited trial will have even the most cynical of users convinced. It's difficult to quite put words on what it does well, it covers almost all (if not all) bases.

Unfortunately for me my iPod battery has now run out and it's time for bed. Still, I'll be looking forward to hooking it all up again ready for my commute into the centre of town tomorrow! Until then, I'm a good $400 less well off, but infinitely better off in the mind -- I just need to convince my wallet. To anyone else in a similar situation I can only say one thing, buy it!

On a slightly side note, let me just say thanks to TTVJ for such disgustingly quick service. As I mentioned, ordered on Sunday night (UK time), delivered to my door by Wednesday night (UK time). A 2 day delivery time is nothing to be sniffed at. Thank you, and a thank you email is on its way!

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 16
Life is a dream, so dreamers, we are. Every time we find something that takes us to other levels, we want to spread the word. This is our nature. This is our fate. Congrats on your new amp. Great impressions!. Enjoy it.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #3 of 16
Well, it's been a little over a year since i hooked up virtually the same set-up, and trust me, the magic doesn't wane. If i'm out and about and vanquish my 9v's, i'll pack up the rig, rather than listen to un-adulterated ipod.
etysmile.gif

good review!

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 16
Your impressions sound just like mine when I first got mine home and listened to it. I had heard it at some length at a Head-Fi meet but sold myself on the idea that I didn't really need it. Finally a year later I put down the money and bought it and my only regret was I was such an idiot I hadn't bought it when it came out! I spent my first night like you, staying up and only getting three hours of sleep because it just sounded soooo good. Congratulations, you made a good purchase!
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 16
Congrats, pingles! As gpalmer and raison both said, I, too, can recall my first evening with my SR-71.

Seems the little bugger affects all of us the same way. One's jaw drops, and we ask, "How did Ray do it?"

Thanks for sharing, and for acknowledging two of the best people that serve Head-Fi - Ray Samuels and Todd (TTVJ).

May you have as much joy from your SR-71 as I have.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 16
Ok, small updated. I've just had my first commute into work using the SR-71. I had my iPod with PocketDock in my pocket, SR-71 in my back pocket with the blue dragon cable just about reaching. It's an amazing bit of kit and will be carried with me everywhere
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing though, what kind of rechargeables are recommended? I seem to remember reading that Maha PowerEx were well regarded? Also, suggestions on 1/4 -> 1/8 adapters? I'm leaning towards an Earcandy from the cable pro, or maybe the Panorama (seeing as it's only about $20 more). Any thoughts?

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 16
i run durcells cause I think they sound better then recharges plus whats a few bucks here and there compared to how much music i am buying cause of her...

I got a grado adapter cable, no need for nothing better to me...also look at rat shack adapters...big wip you dont need to spend money when its not going to kill the sound that much.

BTW: the only use I have for my sr-71 is with rs-1's and my g08 (match made in heaven) or in my jacuzzi with my shure e2's and d-ej2000 or ipod.

My first night alone with the sr-71 i walked out pissed off at Ray for making something sound so good for such a cost, esp compared to my baby hr-2...

"BEELLY why are you mad at me? a amp should sound like that nomatter its price....whats your probelm Man?..lol"

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 16
Congratulations on your great purchase. As a fellow classical music listener, this amp really does the job bringing out the details, textures and nuances of acoustic instruments and voice. I remember the first time listening to mine and I was stunned. We all can recall the joy you are experiencing.

Like a fine wine, the more time you listen, the SR-71 will only improve. It is a remarkable unit.

cheers,
dshea

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 16
oh mates , I'm starting to hate you all , all this people happy with the sr71
rolleyes.gif
what kind of thing would you think is rising from the soul deepness inside of me if not the subtle sibiling tick tock get it try it tick tock get it get it now get it search it try it tick tock now tick tock now tock ... and this you all know doesn't vanish till you get it
tongue.gif

congrats , it seems the sr71 is a little beast and somes afford their mouths to tell it close to the famous hr2 - so it's very likely this little thing must have some virtues ...
enjoy
etysmile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #11 of 16
I'd definitely agree with dshea - after a day of listening the most noticeable differences seem to be with classical performances. The Stokowski and Leon Fleischer recordings in particular sound absolutely sublime. I've also put a few of the CDs from the Miles Davis + John Coltrane Columbia recordings box set on so I'll give those a go over the next day or two and see how the SR71 handles Jazz, I'm guessing it'll blow me away
smily_headphones1.gif

boodi: As gpalmer noted earlier (and I certainly count myself in this same category now), do yourself a favour and start setting aside cash for one. I'm absolutely kicking myself that I didn't get one sooner after getting the Sensas -- I am very close to getting rid of my desktop setup and just going entirely portable, almost all my listening is portable now and I could not be happier with this setup!

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingles
boodi: As gpalmer noted earlier (and I certainly count myself in this same category now), do yourself a favour and start setting aside cash for one. I'm absolutely kicking myself that I didn't get one sooner after getting the Sensas -- I am very close to getting rid of my desktop setup and just going entirely portable, almost all my listening is portable now and I could not be happier with this setup!

pingles: i hate you (
tongue.gif
) [lurking around for a sr71 someone eventually let it fall in a trash ]

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 16
Congrats, that's one amazing little amp. You can definately stop upgrading at this high level. At first, I was sceptical about all the accolades but popular opinion sure was right this time. I think the price is high compared to what most people would spend on portable headphones but the SR-71 also drove my HD 650 so well that I could have easily lived with this amp as the only one. The only thing that bothered me was the lack of an AC possibility and that there smaller amps. But damn, does it sound good for a portable amp.

Jul 14, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 16
Yep, just the lack of using AC power and this would have been the absolutely perfect portable amp. Congrats on the purchase man!

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pingles
On a slightly side note, let me just say thanks to TTVJ for such disgustingly quick service. As I mentioned, ordered on Sunday night (UK time), delivered to my door by Wednesday night (UK time). A 2 day delivery time is nothing to be sniffed at.

Hey pingles - How much change did the SR cost you all in to the [size=xx-small]s[/size]UK? (inc import tax etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back