SR-71 amping senn HD600's??
Jan 24, 2005 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. I've always been a fan of the the HD600's with the equinox cable combo...so I kind of did a spontaneous thing last night and bought a new pair of HD600's off ebay. I plan on later buying an equinox cable too.

But here's my question: How will it all sound out of the SR-71. I know how awesome the thing is, but I realised earlier this morning that I have tried numerous other phones with it all except the HD600's and 650's.

Occasionally I will use my ipod as a source (ALAC and AAC at 320). Will the ipod totally kill the whole setup?...should I only bother to use them with my home cd player?

I guess basically what I'm asking is did i make a good or bad choice and should I look into selling them?

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 6
It will sound awesome...I use the HD-650 with the SR-71 extensively when I am moving around the house (cooking, cleaning, browsing - yes...right now...).

Its only when I move into my room and to my desk setup that I plug it into the Dynahi

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 6
The sound from your iPod won't be as nice as the sound from a really good soundcard, but you have to give up something for portability. As long as your compressed audio is high quality (Alt-preset-standard or high bitrate MP3, etc), you'll be fine. Even if it's not, the amp will still make your music sound better. You can do your own testing, but high quality compression is almost indistinguishable from lossless audio to all but superhuman ears. I think 320kbps is overboard, but some people seem to insist on it. I'm totally happy with LAME's alt-preset-standard (variable bit rate at approximately 200 kbps).

It looks like you have a line-out already.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
It will sound awesome...I use the HD-650 with the SR-71 extensively when I am moving around the house (cooking, cleaning, browsing - yes...right now...).

Its only when I move into my room and to my desk setup that I plug it into the Dynahi

Ahh...instant relief...
biggrin.gif

Now I can't wait to get it!

Quote:

It looks like you have a line-out already.

I have an sik din.

Thanks guys.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #5 of 6
Listening to the iPod/SR71/HD650-Zu right now and it's quite good. I often listen to the setup in bed (though testing compression right now). The iPod is a tad laid back IMO for the Senns, but this is more obvious in comparison than by itself. The Airport Express or as mentioned good soundcard, for instance does better, but when listening to the iPod/Emmeline/Senn combo it's quite nice and smooth.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan the audioman
But here's my question: How will it all sound out of the SR-71. I know how awesome the thing is, but I realised earlier this morning that I have tried numerous other phones with it all except the HD600's and 650's.

Ray's amps sound great with Senns, relax and enjoy the music!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back