SR-60 vs SR-80 for college-fi
Oct 24, 2005 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I have only a set of HD-201s now, and it's aight, and I'm not having really lots of problems with it or anything, but my phones are my primary listening source. I've never had a set of open headphones and there is no way for me to audition headphones either. So maybe those of you that have heard both can help me with this agonizing descision.

So I've heard that the SR-60 is the cheapest truly highfi headphone available, yet I also hear that the SR-80 sound better while being only a little bit more expensive. I also hear from people that the SR-80 doesn't sound that hot and you might as well get one of the more expensive Grados, which are out of my budget.

I have an amp and intend to use this phone at home. Small amounts of leakage should not be a problem because I have my own room. I just don't want to get caught in upgrade-itis wishing I had spend the few bucks more, and the SR-80 is truly stretching the top of my toy budget.

Will I be happy with the SR-60?

I listen to a wide variety of music, but lots of rock, folk, and electronic, less classical and jazz. I'm not committed to buying grados either but opinon is that they are the best in my budget.

I listen from my computer with a Total bithead, portable with a minidisc+TB.

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 3
Ill stick by what I have always said, SR-80 sounded like it had less bass than the SR-60 unamped. For unamped I prefer the Sr-60, but the 80's will be nice if you are using an amp

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 3
I comes down to personal tastes, really. I've flip-flopped many times concerning which I prefer. Last time I tried them (I've owned them both twice, at the same time) I came away prefering the sr80 because of its more neutral tonal character, airiness, and energy compared to the sr60 which is a little more laid back, thicker and warm sounding. In the end the sr80 just seemed to rock better--to do what grados do best and also seemed the most versatile phone for my ears. This was both amped and unamped and with reversed bowls on both cans (my preference). While some people are bothered by the overly forward highs of the sr80 I believe these are taimed quite well using reversed bowl pads. The sr60 has a noticable peak in the upper mids that never went away regardless of the pads used and this really started to bug me after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back