SR-60 vs. MS-1
Dec 6, 2005 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kamera

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting my first pair of Grado's and I really think the SR-60 is a good place for me to start. Comfort is going to be important so I'm looking at the SR-60 instead of the SR-80. Anyway, I hear a lot of people saying the MS-1's are superior. Has there been a definitive answer as to which Grado they are based off of? Also, I constantly hear that the MS-1's are more musical. What exactly does that mean? I listen to mostly rock and the occasional jazz, which is better for that, something in the Grado line or the MS line?

Thanks for the help and thanks for all those that helped me pick out my er6i's preciously. Every part of me but the wallet thanks you, I love my IEM's!
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 12
If you look at the specs the MS1s are based off the SR125. I think (actually I started a thread a long time ago and it seemed to confirm) the only reason people say it's based off the SR80 is the price.

The SR60s are a bit easier to drive. This doesn't mean any Grado/Alessandro sounds bad ampless, but the SR60s are closer to maxing out without an amp. The MS1s are a bit smoother and especially the highs are more controlled than the SR60. It also grows with an amp.

To be honest with shipping (on the Grado, it's free with the Alessandro) the difference between the SR60 and MS1 isn't much. I really don't know why anyone would prefer the SR60. The MS1 is a much better phone (or to put it another way - it has less problems).

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
If you look at the specs the MS1s are based off the SR125. I think (actually I started a thread a long time ago and it seemed to confirm) the only reason people say it's based off the SR80 is the price.

The SR60s are a bit easier to drive. This doesn't mean any Grado/Alessandro sounds bad ampless, but the SR60s are closer to maxing out without an amp. The MS1s are a bit smoother and especially the highs are more controlled than the SR60. It also grows with an amp.

To be honest with shipping (on the Grado, it's free with the Alessandro) the difference between the SR60 and MS1 isn't much. I really don't know why anyone would prefer the SR60. The MS1 is a much better phone (or to put it another way - it has less problems).

Thanks for the reply.
smily_headphones1.gif

I can get the SR-60 with free shipping so there is a somewhat big price difference. I'm not opposed to paying for the MS-1's but I'm not sure it's worth it for me. I listen to a lot of rock and from what I've read the Grado's are better for rock but then I keep hearing that the MS-1's are the better headphone. So I'm a bit confused.

I'll be going ampless out of an iPod if it helps. Also, how does the comfort of the MS-1 stack up to the SR-60's?

Dec 6, 2005 at 7:49 AM Post #4 of 12
It's a tough call between the sr-60 and the ms-1 because the two are VERY similar in sound. If you ask me however, the ms-1 tends to take away a bit from the grado flavor, making it a little more dull in comparison. Female vocals are better on the 60 than the ms-1 for example. However, the ms-1 quite a bit more detailed. Personally, I would say go for the sr-60 and don't look back; the ms-1's are technically superior as far as details are concerned, but the 60's have a very lovable sound signature.

Dec 6, 2005 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 12
I have an iAudio 5 1GB flash mp3 player and it pushes my Grado SR80's no problemo! Better bass than the SR60 and I can't imagine having anything else for rock IMHO.

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
You can't go wrong with either choice. The MS1 is more laid back but not by a lot; it can still rock and is easier on the ears.

What do you mean by easier on the ears? Less fatiguing to listen to or more comfortable to wear?

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamera
What do you mean by easier on the ears? Less fatiguing to listen to or more comfortable to wear?

Less fatiguing to listen to (the highs on the MS1 are alot less fatiguing than those on the SR60).

Dec 7, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 12
I A/B'd the two a few months ago, and I definitely preferred the MS-1 (at least in an amped situation, which is how I tested them). The SR-60 is good, but side-by-side with the MS-1, it sounds a little blurry. The MS-1 was less rolled-off in the treble, not in the sense of overemphasizing highs, but in the sense of capturing note attacks much more clearly. With the SR-60, things like piano notes and cymbal hits had what felt like rounded-off corners, compared to their fairly sharp definition with the MS-1.

Dec 7, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx

The official word from John Grado is that the MS1 shares components with the Prestige series but is not really "based" on any pre-existing model. It is its own headphone. However, its specs are just about identical to the SR125, only difference I've noticed there is the frequency response, which is rated as being the same as that of the SR225. The price is indeed its only commonality with the SR80.

I've heard both, but never back to back, and the SR60 not for very long. Based on that, I'd say the MS1 is probably better by a significant margin, but you won't go far wrong either way. MS1 is one of the best you can get for $100 shipped new, but SR60 is very respectable for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back