SR-60 vs. HD590
May 19, 2004 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

v_1matst

Head-Fier
I'm not enough of an audiophile geek yet to give a good comparitive review of anything really at this point. I just had to say that out of the three headsets that I have (A900, HD590, SR-60) I think the SR-60's kick butt the most for sound/value.

The 590's were my first 'real' headphone and I loved them the moment I put them on. Very comfortable, great laid back sound, fairly easy to drive (although I'll get back to this in a minute) and lightweight (while still having decent construction). These were going to live with me at work, however after a couple of months my coworkers started to not like the idea of open headphones (I work in an office). They had to go.

I brought them home and set them up with my Powerbook. For work I ordered the A900's and I'm in the process of burning them in. I'm getting used to their sound (coming from the 590's) and I have to say that they are a very versatile set of phones (amped, unamped, rock, jazz, classical, etc, etc). I paid roughly the same for these as I did the Sennheisers (ordered from audiocubes) and they are by far a better choice.

Anyway, now that I'm all set at work and home I wanted to get a pair of cans that I could use for general purpose (home, portable, travel, lawn mowing, etc). After reading a lot of reviews I grabbed the SR-60's. Man was I blown away. So much so that my 590's are now for sale in the forums here
etysmile.gif
For $69 US you get an excellent sounding set of phones that are much easier to drive than the 590's (my iPod sounds 10 times better with the Grados, the Senns sounded muddy/not driven well enough). For roughly $120 LESS than what I spent on the 590's I believe that I have a better headset (better sounding to my ears anyway. I know there's quite a difference in 'sound flavor' or whatever between the brands).

I just wish that I had gotten these in the first place. Still not appropriate for work because they are still open (and I am really starting to get attached to the A900's at work although my coworkers think I look like an air traffic controller) but great for all around use.

I do have a question however. When I look at all the pictures online of the SR-60's they look much bulkier than the set that I have. Mine look at lot more like the 225's. Did Grado slim down the 60's? Did I get the 225's with the wrong emblem/pricing?

Anyway, I just had to spread the joy that these sub $100 cans brought me.
600smile.gif

May 19, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 15
Nope, the SR60's are pretty low profile. If you happened to see a picture with the bowl pads instead, it would make them look slightly bigger... Congrats, I'm glad you like them.

May 20, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 15
thats quite a feat, being able to sell the 590s for the sr-60s. i guess ur just a grado sound lover? or perhaps the 590s were simply not driven properly.

May 20, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
thats quite a feat, being able to sell the 590s for the sr-60s. i guess ur just a grado sound lover? or perhaps the 590s were simply not driven properly.

I don't know, it depends on your priorities... If you want a very detailed headphone the 590 will win over the SR60. On the other hand, if you want a very balanced headphone, the SR60 is FAR more well balanced than the 590.

BTW get the bowl pads, it makes them sound WWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYY better.

May 20, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
I don't know, it depends on your priorities... If you want a very detailed headphone the 590 will win over the SR60. On the other hand, if you want a very balanced headphone, the SR60 is FAR more well balanced than the 590.

That's funny.. everyone always recommends the flats.

Me, though... right now I prefer the comfy stock pads with quarter-sized holes cut in them.

May 20, 2004 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TM2 Rampage

Me, though... right now I prefer the comfy stock pads with quarter-sized holes cut in them.

Yes, I've done bowls and quarter-cut comfy's side by side (testing). I prefer the comfy's because I feel the highs are rolled off with the bowls (to a great extent) while the comfies retain the highs of the SR-60's. Detail really made no difference between both pads, though comfort + the lack of highs really did it for me. Bowl pads suck. Flats are the best and bring out more detail in the SR-60's than I've ever heard with the other pads (though I prefer using the flats with my SR-225's than the 60's.)

May 20, 2004 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994

NOOOOO! Sorry but for me the bowl make any Grado headphones sound like cheap earbuds, in particular the Grado Sr-60. Buy the FLATS!
My (beautiful) Grado Sr-60 with FLATS sounds more balanced than the RS-1 with the BOWLS (yes Grado flagship, that actually comes with the BOWLS)!!! The bowls make also the Rs-1 sound with shrill highs.

Bye

Andrea

May 20, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by amartignano
NOOOOO! Sorry but for me the bowl make any Grado headphones sound like cheap earbuds, in particular the Grado Sr-60. Buy the FLATS!
My (beautiful) Grado Sr-60 with FLATS sounds more balanced than the RS-1 with the BOWLS (yes Grado flagship, that actually comes with the BOWLS)!!! The bowls make also the Rs-1 sound with shrill highs.

Bye

Andrea

I have to agree. I tried out the 60's in store with the bowls and didn't like them as much at first (granted they were an older pair that they had behind the counter). The flats seem more comfortable, to me anyway, and they sound better.

As for selling the 590's for the SR-60's, that's not really accurate. I bought the Grado's because I wanted a set of good headphones that I didn't have to worry about that much (you tend to treat things that cost 3-4 times that with a little more paranoia/care). I'm selling the 590's because I'd rather invest in other equipment then have a third set of cans right now. The 590's are still for sale by the way
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2004 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 15
i want to buy the sennheiser hd 600 ( look at my new thread "FLATest headphone <200 euro & dollar" ) !

Do the hd 590 have 300 OHM to drive too ?

I want to use the hd 600 with my new EMU 1812M SOUNDCARD. The headphone amp specifikations of that are here:

Headphones (stereo)
*Type: linear power amplifier
*Frequency Response: +0.0/-0.35dB, 20Hz - 20kHz
*THD+N (1kHz, max gain)
- 33 ohm load: -70dB (0.032%)
- 600 ohm load: -85dB (0.006%)
*SNR (A-weighted): 112dB
*Dynamic Range (A-weighted): 117dB
*Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS, 600 ohm load):< -100dB
*Maximum Output Power: 500mW
*Output impedance: 22 ohms
*Gain Range: 85dB

May 20, 2004 at 12:41 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fernando
i want to buy the sennheiser hd 600 ( look at my new thread "FLATest headphone <200 euro & dollar" ) !

Do the hd 590 have 300 OHM to drive too ?

I want to use the hd 600 with my new EMU 1812M SOUNDCARD. The headphone amp specifikations of that are here:

Headphones (stereo)
*Type: linear power amplifier
*Frequency Response: +0.0/-0.35dB, 20Hz - 20kHz
*THD+N (1kHz, max gain)
- 33 ohm load: -70dB (0.032%)
- 600 ohm load: -85dB (0.006%)
*SNR (A-weighted): 112dB
*Dynamic Range (A-weighted): 117dB
*Stereo Crosstalk (1kHz at -1dBFS, 600 ohm load):< -100dB
*Maximum Output Power: 500mW
*Output impedance: 22 ohms
*Gain Range: 85dB

Nope, I believe that the 590's are 120 ohm.

May 20, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TM2 Rampage

Ditto. AFAIK, hardly anybody recommends the bowls, most people encourage using the flats. But for the SR60's, the coin-hole modded comfies seem to be the best way to go. That's what I have on my SR60's, and they sound great.

May 20, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedr
Ditto. AFAIK, hardly anybody recommends the bowls, most people encourage using the flats. But for the SR60's, the coin-hole modded comfies seem to be the best way to go. That's what I have on my SR60's, and they sound great.

Don't forget the modified Senn's...."Poor Man's Flats".

May 20, 2004 at 5:11 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by v_1matst
...I wanted to get a pair of cans that I could use for general purpose (home, portable, travel, lawn mowing, etc).

The SR-60s are great but I you might not want use them while mowing the lawn; that is if you want to be able to actually hear the music, and not lose your hearing in the process.
cool.gif

May want to get canal phones for that (Sharp MD-33, Shure E2c, or even the Koss Plug (cheap) just for mowing.)

Wish they had them when I was mowing the lawn!

May 20, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmann
The SR-60s are great but I you might not want use them while mowing the lawn; that is if you want to be able to actually hear the music, and not lose your hearing in the process.
cool.gif

May want to get canal phones for that (Sharp MD-33, Shure E2c, or even the Koss Plug (cheap) just for mowing.)

Wish they had them when I was mowing the lawn!

Yeah, after using them once while mowing I think I'm just going to get some normal ear protection to wear instead of headphones. Your ears are the only unreplacable (and most important) component in the whole audio chain. iPod -> SR-60 -> my ears
wink.gif

I've heard mixed things about the canal type phones in terms of comfort and sound quality if they don't fit just right. I'll have to try them out at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back