SR-60 + UM3X = ???
Jan 10, 2010 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mamba315

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of full-size headphones which can combine the qualities I like about the following 'phones, so I can simplify my life down to a single pair.

Grado SR-60
Likes: Open back design = natural soundstage, bass is great
Dislikes: Midrange and treble I find overly crisp and bright, extremely fatiguing for this reason

Westone UM3X
Likes: Frequency response is spot-on, sounds very smooth, fast, and detailed
Dislikes: The seal with the stock Comply tips creates a very artificial "in-head" sound that gets fatiguing quickly

The fake "in-head" presentation is the ONLY problem I have with the UM3X. Everything else about those 'phones I adore. I don't think different tips are the answer since IEM's rely on a good seal for their sound, and I don't think I enjoy sealed phones (whether IEM or full-size).

AKG 701/2 might be too bright/harsh for me, since I seem to be sensitive to such things. Senn 600 is known to be smooth, but possibly too slow and lacking in detail.

Then there are the wild cards... Stax? Or one of the new breed of Orthos?

All I want is the speed, detail and smooth response of the UM3X, but in an open-back full-size phone. I need a wider, more natural presentation, and cannot stand excessively bright/harsh sound. Suggestions?

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 3
Good questions it could be interesting thread. I am surprised that still you didn't get answer. I think you are almost there what you look for. I am with you that Westone with Grado in one could be my ideal headphone as well. I really liked strong punch bass, present voiced vocals, smoothness, dynamic, rich midrange of um3x. I could listen them hours very musical and fun. I think you will find hard similar full size headphones which will give you similar character (organic and good accurate) as um3x. sometimes I didnt like their close sound exact like you with shure foams, you can try custom sleeves it will help open sound a little sure. Grado can do pull into do music and sound is like wind emotional and airy and it is exciting to me.
So I cant help you more becose I am trying find somthing similar like you
wink_face.gif
but I think you could love um3x with um-56 or es3x. Full size headphone will need very good source and orthos could be one of acceptable candidate but I didnt heard them yet so I dont want guess. So my tip from my experience try Audio Technica AD900 from second-hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back