sr-60 to V6, what should I expect?
Sep 20, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 27
vertigo_1, as remarkable as the v6 bass is, in side by side comparisons the bass on the cd1700 hits deeper & harder.

Sep 20, 2001 at 10:30 PM Post #17 of 27
I've never heard any of the phones you have Vertigo, these V6s are as high end I've ever gotten, but given your inventory, I don't see any reason why you should. To be honest, I only got a pair because they seemed like the perfect, practical, and most ideal portable headphone for someone with tastes like myself (portable = I'm lugging around a hefty backpack anyway). But because these are the only phones I have next to the sr-60, these will probably replace them as the home phones as well (maybe, gotta get the bowl pads and see how they do, probably alot more soundstage which I really like). If I thought the sr-60 was fit as a portable headphone in my enviroment (I didn't think the lack of isolation was all that bad, it was more of a build and practicality issue, grados being very impractical imo) I would have skipped the V6s, used the sr-60s as portables, and gone straight for the 325s as home phones (which I think I'm gonna do anyway, gotta see how I like the treble on them... heard their harsh!). Course, I don't have an amp, so I can't comment on how deep the bass can really go. In fact I shouldn't comment on anything considering my lack of expierience. But when I thought of deep bass, I thought of chest rumbleing deep like a speaker sub, which I soon realised just doesn't happen with headphones
wink.gif
. Basicaly, when people talked about deep bass, I thought they meant like impact and all this other bizness, when now that I've used them it just seems like the ability to actually reproduce low notes when other phones just kind of disregard them completely. Like finding a hidden treasure in recordings, but nothing down right special for me.

In all, I can't imagine a single other can that would serve as many of the purposes I was looking for in a headphone. Bass, isolation, effincieny, portability and buld quality. To me it now almost seems like a joke whenever I hear somebody reccomend a grado for portable purposes (at least the 60, 80 is probably better sound wise over all but I still don't think I'd reccomend it as a portable phone). As much as I hate alot of their ****, I'm gonna give it to sony for keeping these things in production cause god knows its gotta be KILLING them finanically to continue making these things
rolleyes.gif

So peace, and thanks for the reccomendation.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
vertigo_1, as remarkable as the v6 bass is, in side by side comparisons the bass on the cd1700 hits deeper & harder.

I disagree, personally. I wasn't very impressed with the CD1700's bass at all, and didn't think it was going very deep. The V6 on the other hand goes exceptionally deep, possibly lower than any other headphone there is. I know that a lot of people agree on this aspect (although opinions on the CD1700's may differ).

Sep 20, 2001 at 11:34 PM Post #19 of 27
Ive had the V6 long before getting the SR-125s... and I cant imagine anyone using grados as portables. The V6s have taken a beating that probably would've gone through many pairs of grados by now, and damn, I dont know about anyone else, but the V6s are sooooo much more comfortable to me than are the SR125s. As for sound, they each do things better in their own way, and its got me thinking that Sennheiser HD580/600 might be the perfect way for me to go in the future
wink.gif
..... dreaded upgrades..

Sep 21, 2001 at 12:24 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

I'm going to have disagree there unfortunately, and rather violently.
tongue.gif
The CD1700s had about some of the lightest and tightest bass out of any headphone I've ever heard, with the other being the AKG 501. I would never describe their bass as deep, not without some serious EQing at least. In terms of bass deepness I'd say the top three would be the Sony 7506, the Sennheiser HD-600, and the Sony CD-3000, in that order. This is not to say however that they have the best bass quality...that honor certainly goes to headphones like the Etymotics, R10s, Stax, etc.

Another tempting morsel I'm digesting is that article Jude posted...that the 7506s are if nothing else, sheerly accurate. Considering my armada of headphones consists of basically nothing but pleasant sounding, midrange full headphones, I wouldn't mind getting something that's on the accurate, and even bright, side.

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:30 AM Post #22 of 27
I believe it's primarily because the 7506 features a fully replaceable structure, where if any one section of it broke, you could replace it, down to the screws holding the headband to the cups, etc. I'm not sure if the V6 has this capability...

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:32 AM Post #23 of 27
I gotta agree with both Neruda and Vertigo-1 here. I've heard both the V6 and the CD1700 and I thought that the bass on the V6 was stronger and went considerably deeper than the CD1700s. I'm not really sure why the price difference is so much between the V6 and the 7056 figuring that they are pretty much the same headphone.

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 27
I always figured the price difference was due to the formentioned "replacability", gold plug, and above all, "pro-model" haha.

Sep 21, 2001 at 3:43 AM Post #25 of 27
Keeping in mind that the 7506 does feature replaceable parts, Sony would have to keep an inventory of all those parts around their warehouse. That's less storage space for those MDR-R10s they coulda been stashing and selling instead!
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2001 at 4:02 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
I believe it's primarily because the 7506 features a fully replaceable structure, where if any one section of it broke, you could replace it, down to the screws holding the headband to the cups, etc. I'm not sure if the V6 has this capability...

I'm examining my V6 and 7506 right now, and there are no differences that I can see. I think it's just a marketing/positioning thing.

Sep 21, 2001 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Yep. There is NO difference in the way they are designed and manufactured, other than a gold plug on the 7506 and a silver plug on the V6. You pay $20-$40 more for the 7506 so that you have a headphone with the "professional" line designation
wink.gif

As a reminder, I have a pair that are literally half and half...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back