SR-60 to SR-225?
Jun 18, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 16
You're going to need to give a bit more information than that - source, amp, music preferences, all that jazz. This was the first headphone upgrade I made, but it really depends on the rest of your system whether it's worthwhile. I will say that I've never quite loved my 225s like I did my very first SR-60s, though that's for sentimental rather than aural reasons.

Jun 18, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #4 of 16
If you love Grado sound, the SR225s would most likely be the next logical step.

Jun 18, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 16
A big upgrade with a small budget is buy a flat pad, you have more bass and the sound more breath, more present, better in all point
wink.gif

Myabe keep the money for a Amp/DAC if you listen from you PC ?

Jun 18, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #8 of 16
I think the difference is very slight, I did sell my 60's but I never really felt the 225's were that much better. Sometimes on certain songs I liked the 60's better! I have to agree with Alchemy you might want to try another brand and explore more. My favorite phone now is the Denon AH-D2000's, they about $50 more than the 225s and are well worth it.

Jun 18, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 16
I went with another brand, but....kept my Grado/Alessandros and bought the other cans to complement the first! Unless you simply MUST sell the SR-60 to finance the new phones, my suggestion would be considering having two somewhat dissimilar phones to choose from. It really adds to the fun!

And yes; pad rolling with the SR-60 can go a long way in helping with the Comfort/Performance ratio!

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #10 of 16
When A/Bing between 225s and 80s (very close to 60s), the difference was very small without an amp right out of an ipod. With an amp and better source, I do think the difference is worth it. So for you Id recommend getting an amp first or just trying another brand to have a wide variety of headphones.

Jun 18, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 16
thanks guys. If it wasn't for head-fi I would've set myself up for disappointment. Thank you and I'll be investing in something more worthwhile like some IEMs for my upcoming trip!

thanks again

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A big upgrade with a small budget is buy a flat pad, you have more bass and the sound more breath, more present, better in all point
wink.gif

Myabe keep the money for a Amp/DAC if you listen from you PC ?

couldnt agree more! thats a great advice!

Jun 19, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 16
you could always buy some decent amp and some SR325...
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 10:16 AM Post #15 of 16
I've listened to SR225's powered from Vincent KHV-1 hybrid headphone amplifier and I realized... they're not good enough. Quick bass, shiny mids, but too silky highs. Not quite matching Grado house signature. If things people say about 325i are true, I think it's not a worthy business to go from SR60 to SR225, especially unamped. Better wait to afford SR325i, my friend owning SR60 and several sources says the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back