SR 60.. this is as far as we've come still?
Feb 13, 2006 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jeffmd

Head-Fier
atleast 3 years ago I bought a set of grado 60's, and aside from construction flaws, I have absolutly loved them. Unfortunatly a year after I bought them, a broken wire in the V-neck forced me to canabalise the V section of the cord, forever comprimising a criticle point in the cord, and since then its been down hill. Escentialy the cords proneness to twisting on all 3 ends caused it to fail. Rescently another broken wire in one ear cup has caused me to strip its black covering and glue it in a working position (saddly another flaw, the cups are non-serviceable, should I need to require them, my only option is to cut out the grating on the back), but it is definetly a short term fix.

So I set out again to find a new set of cans in the same $60 price range. It's not really as dissapointing that people still recomend the sr60, rather it is most dissapointing to see it still at $70. In 3+ years it has never droped in price.. and in 3 years no one has managed to make a same or simular headphone for less?

Feb 13, 2006 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 13
There are others to choose from, but nothing better.

Px100, e2c, some other cheaper senn's, and Koss series.

Maybe it is time to upgrade?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 13
the cool thing is that it hasn't gone UP in price, like, say, gasoline.
if your grados busted back then, wasn't it under warranty? i think it's worth having it fixed!

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #5 of 13
I think your best 3 ideas are: Upgrade, to MS1 or higher for a real difference in sound quality, Send back to Grado to have them fixed, or get the Koss portaPros. It would be a slight step backwards in sound quality, perhaps, but the build quality is excellent, and having compared mine with SR60s they both sound alike. It also happens to be a sound I really like too. I'd upgrade to the SR60s, but the difference in sound quality isn't a large enough step to warrent buying them. The smallest upgrade I'd consider from my portaPros is the MS1 or AKG k240s.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #6 of 13
I thought Senn had a great balanced competitor in the HD 497. Which has since been discontinued, and replaced by two models: the less-bassy EH 350 and more-bassy HD 485. Depending on your musical tastes, I feel like these are worthy contenders for the SR 60 niche. Certainly, if you're a classical or jazz or techno listener on a budget, and you want an entry level unamped headphone, these Senns would be preferable to the SR 60.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
more-bassy HD 485.

you should get your sr60's fixed under warrenty and pick up some 485's. then you could do a comparison.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 13
485's come with a headphone stand.

Feb 13, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I can think of some cans under $70 i'd rather listen to than the sr60. Just not right for me.

px100
ksc35 / ksc75
V6
e888

I've just procured some Ksc75's to compare with my 35's... I've got to say that IMO you can't go wrong with either of these little gems
biggrin.gif
The 75's have a somewhat better high frequency extension and build quality but they are both great performers in their own right
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
I can think of some cans under $70 i'd rather listen to than the sr60. Just not right for me.

px100
ksc35 / ksc75
V6
e888

Actually those are some very good cans... but IMHO the SR60 beats them out (as well they should as the more expensive $70 headphone).

px100- Ive never heard one so I cant comment.
KSC35/75- not as tight and refined as the grado SR.
V6- recession from 400-900Hz is a little excessive, harsh midrange resonances centered around 3500Hz.
e888- My favorite earbud, but compared to the SR60 it lacks bass kick and sub bass extension. Can really come to life with some EQ boost and mods.

Anyways... Just my oppinions, so take it for what theyre worth.

Garrett

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffmd
So I set out again to find a new set of cans in the same $60 price range. It's not really as dissapointing that people still recomend the sr60, rather it is most dissapointing to see it still at $70. In 3+ years it has never droped in price.. and in 3 years no one has managed to make a same or simular headphone for less?

I think for things like Speakers and Headphones, prices actually rise rather than fall. Most electronics fall due to improvements in technology as well as the economy of scale.

IIRC, the SR-60s were $69 when they were first introduced. I'm with others in being impressed they haven't gone UP in price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back