SR-60,SR-80 or MS-1's?
Jun 24, 2007 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DolbyR

100+ Head-Fier
So,
i'm finally planning on buying some decent cans, though my budget is thight, atleast compared to the cans some of you head-fiers are using.

I've been reading a lot of good stuff about Grado's and the price of SR-60's is affordable for me (considering i'll have to order them from the US and pay for shipping). Though, i's like them with the donut pads so that would increase the price by 15 bucks, getting almost the price of SR-80's. Is that actually the only difference between these two models or do SR-80s in general have better SQ?
As i've get as far as SR-80 in my budget, the Alessandro MS-1 is also an option. How would they compare to SR-80s?

Jun 24, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #2 of 6
As far as the difference between Grados, the Grado site itself has reasonably detailed descriptions of the differences in models. The SR-80s have seperate ground wires for the channels, while the SR-60s have a shared ground that combines in the Y, presumably. Whether or not that makes a difference in sound is up to the listener.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 6
The MS-1 still shares the basic Grado sound but tends to tone it down a bit and be a little more neutral in its' presentation. Neither better or worse than the Grados, just different. More suitable for a wider range of music that the truly rockin' Grados.

The MS-1 does use the same materials in it's construction as the more expensive SR-125, and is available with either a 1/4 or 1/8" connector. They ship with the comfy pads as do the SR-60.

They are frequently less expensive when ordered outside the US as the shipping is free.

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 6
What F107 says, though I say if you accept the traits of the SR225 or RS1 to be superior, then the less so, but still more restrained and balanced MS1 is not just different, but better than the SR60/80.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are a few thread comparing the SR-80 to the MS-1. A quick search would help you a lot ...

Seriously, I think yesterday I saw a two or three page thread on this exact same question.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back