SR-60/SR-80 differences?
Jul 17, 2006 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

uthscsa19

Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase some SR-60's this weekend. However, I was wondering what the improvement would be by paying abit more for the SR-80's. I will be running these from my built-in soundcard at work, and my Ipod. This means no amps. Would there be a difference in sound between the SR-60 and SR-80 unamped? I heard that the SR-80 is an improvement if amped, but I was wondering if its worth the upgrade if I will not be using an amp.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 8
I heard that putting bowl pads to SR60 practically turns them to SR80 with almost no audible difference...

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 8
I haven't heard SR80's in a long time, so I don't know if putting bowls on SR60's makes them sound identical, but it certainly improves the SR60's by a large margin IMO (compared to comfies with a hole cut in the middle). The sound "opens up" with the bowls, increasing the soundstage and giving an airier, more detailed sound. I didn't find it to be too bright or strident, just right. I was so satisfied after hearing bowls on my SR60's that I wasn't tempted to try flat pads at all.

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 8
I preferred the SR 80 when doing back to back auditions...even when trialing the bowls on the 60's...the SR80 had a little more low end extension, and a smidge more impact to my ears.

The other difference is the grade of the cable, the sr80 has separate ground per channel (or something)..

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa
I heard that putting bowl pads to SR60 practically turns them to SR80 with almost no audible difference...

Pretty much. I would not bet money that I could tell any difference if both models had the same pads.

I think the SR60 is preferable to the SR80's for the reason I find the SR80's too bright, and the bowl pads are less comfortable. I think the SR225 is the cheapest bowl pad model that is worth the extra money.

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Pretty much. I would not bet money that I could tell any difference if both models had the same pads.

I could, when I tried them (though it was harder to tell with the comfy pads) - but the difference was rather marginal. In the end I went with the 80 and got a pair of comfy pads extra for free.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And yes, these really are bright headphones (esp. with the bowl pads) - but unique and fun sounding, nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back