SR-5 amp.
Apr 10, 2007 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

haibane

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering what you guys would use to power a stax SR-5. Assuming budget is up to 200 dollars, but would like to stay at 150 or less. I have the SRD-6/SB

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by haibane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering what you guys would use to power a stax SR-5. Assuming budget is up to 200 dollars, but would like to stay at 150 or less. I have the SRD-6/SB

If you already have a SRD6/SB, then just buy the best sounding (to you) power amp you can afford (assuming you don't feel like DIYing something). A fairly powerful tube amp would probably work best, but that involves finding such a device. Alternatively, I've seen some nice class D amps offloaded for fairly cheap (eg, some of Panasonic's XR family).

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you already have a SRD6/SB, then just buy the best sounding (to you) power amp you can afford (assuming you don't feel like DIYing something). A fairly powerful tube amp would probably work best, but that involves finding such a device. Alternatively, I've seen some nice class D amps offloaded for fairly cheap (eg, some of Panasonic's XR family).

Carl according to other posts you seem to have the know how about stax. I would ideally like to get a tube amp, but what kind of power specs should I be looking at? Also at what impedance load will this be?

Apr 10, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Carl according to other posts you seem to have the know how about stax. I would ideally like to get a tube amp, but what kind of power specs should I be looking at? Also at what impedance load will this be?

The impedence load of the transformer boxes changes with frequency, so there is no real fixed value. In practice, I find they work just fine from 4Ω, 8Ω, and 16Ω taps, so pick the one that gives you the sound and volume levels you're most happy with.

Power requirements depend on the headphone. Thankfully the SR5 is far easier to drive than something like an Omega II, but I'd still aim for over 10-15W per channel.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 18
Well, it would have
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 18
Lol, slightly misleading label there (30W per channel from a t-amp?)

I'd look for a SRD-7 (the plain jane version with two normal outputs) if I were you, the SRD-6SB sounded plain awful while I had it, by comparison. Are you trying to get the black SR-5? They've been getting more expensive recently, for some reason...

Apr 11, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, slightly misleading label there (30W per channel from a t-amp?)

There are several models of T-amps, one of which is supposedly rated to 30W.

Quote:

Are you trying to get the black SR-5? They've been getting more expensive recently, for some reason...

Probably because people are finally realising that it's better than spending $150 on a SR-80.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks guys, I have a pending sale on the Black versions. I was looking at the gold, but failed. If you guys know anywhere I can get a hold of just an adapter, I would be able to get these cans immediately, but right now the other guy has the adapter and cans, but won't give up the adapter till he can find one for his SR-X

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Thanks guys, I have a pending sale on the Black versions. I was looking at the gold, but failed.

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about the black SR-5Ns are the gold version. Or am I just misunderstanding you here?

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're talking about what I think you're talking about the black SR-5Ns are the gold version. Or am I just misunderstanding you here?

I thought that the SR-5N was black with gold lettering but also the lambda ribbon cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back