SR-404 owners: what do you have in your system?
May 26, 2006 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

catscratch

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to give the SR-404 one last fair chance before either going dynamic or getting the SR-007. I really like the SR-404 in many ways, but it's peaky upper midrange and general lack of bass and impact are fairly major turn-offs for me. But, just today, I plugged the SRM-313 straight into the wall outlet, instead of a power strip, and I heard immediate, and substantial performance improvements. Far bigger improvements, in fact, than I ever expected. So, I think that I haven't tapped even the very beginning of the SR-404's potential, and I want to push it a bit before giving up on it.

So, for you guys that have the SR-404 and have built a system around it that compensates for it's weaknesses - how did you do it? What gear do you use? Any EQ to tone down the upper midrange peak? Any specific source/cable/amp suggestions?

Here's what I'm thinking of at the moment: Keep my Rega Planet 2000 as a transport, to an Apogee MiniDAC, since it's said to be warm and punchy, to my balanced McAlister EA-1, which I'll have to fix eventually, to the SR-404. I'm not sure about cables or power components, but VH Audio power cords are said to be a good bargain, and the Furman Power Factor Pro conditioner has gotten a lot of good praise for it's very low price tag. I'm also toying with the idea of getting a good 31-band EQ, which also won't cost all that much, and toning down the upper midrange.

The SR-404 really seems like it could give you state-of-the-art performance if only you get rid of it's very specific problems. Somehow.

May 26, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
The EA-1 would smooth off the peakiness a bit, wouldn't you think?

It would, and it does, but not fully. The peak is still there. What it does do, however, is fill in the lean midbass nicely, as well as skew the overall tonal balance to the warm side, which is good. It sounds very close to the HEV90 in terms of sound signature.

Of course, mine also clips and hums and does a lot of stuff that it shouldn't... which is why it's going back to Peter to be made right once more.

May 26, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 35
If you're thinking of adding an EQ, might I suggest you look for a good used Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve? It's far more versatile than the usual 31-band analog unit, particularly if you're trying to tame peakiness and resonances. In addition to the usual 31 or 63 band mode, you can use the DEQ as a parametric EQ, where you set the center frequency and the width of the peak/trough. Finally (and I think this is its best feature) it works in the digital domain, so you put it between your digital source and your DAC. That way, you preserve the fine analog performance of your DAC rather than adding the EQ after it (the DAC) has done its part in the chain. I recently found a DEQ on the FS forum for $200, to give you an idea of what you might have to budget for one.

May 27, 2006 at 1:25 PM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
Here's what I'm thinking of at the moment: Keep my Rega Planet 2000 as a transport, to an Apogee MiniDAC, since it's said to be warm and punchy, to my balanced McAlister EA-1, which I'll have to fix eventually, to the SR-404.

I don't know about the McAlister / 404 pairing, but for my 3030 the Apogee doesn't seem to be either warm enough or satisfyingly punchy. At least with the stock power supply and XLR outputs (the mini-jack sounds warmer and thicker, but worse overall). Should I buy another converter as a source for the 3030, I'd look into something like the Aqvox, a NOS design or, if I could stretch a bit, the Electrocompaniet praised by Salt Peanuts. Please take into acount I haven't heard any of these, this would be my lecture based short list (perhaps along with a Lavry and maybe, just maybe a Zhaolu with the CS dac chip).

May 27, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #7 of 35
I am using the SRM 717 with the 404's. I have found the 717 to be very (read expensive) power cord sensative. Also the support (rack) and IC's atre key. I also have the 404's.

I predict that it will take a LOT of money to get the 404's right with the 313 if it is anything like the 717. You will end up being well on your way to an OMega II system. why bother?

For me, I am using the 404's as a place holder until I can afford the Omega II's. I am acquiring power cords with an eye toward what I would eventually want to use with Omega II's.

Jay

May 27, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 35
the 404's are a great headphone but I think what your really looking for is a nice pair of omega II's. I use to have the 404 and it was clear to me that i will quickly sell the 404's. The omega II just sound so damn good. go for it!

May 27, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 35
the 404's are a great headphone but I think what your really looking for is a nice pair of omega II's. I use to have the 404 and it was clear to me that i will quickly sell the 404's. The omega II just sound so damn good. go for it!

May 27, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #10 of 35

May 27, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
So, for you guys that have the SR-404 and have built a system around it that compensates for it's weaknesses - how did you do it? What gear do you use? Any EQ to tone down the upper midrange peak? Any specific source/cable/amp suggestions?

I think that you have good ideas about your source and things to try. I would say 'try them.' Use your ears along the way as your guide. If you like the 404's, then stick with them, and play around (demo if you can) with the other equipment to see if the 404's end up where you want them to. If not, then continue on your journey. I am not an EQ person at all, so I believe in purifying the source chain as much as possible.

Omega II's may be calling you though (come on, you know you want them...)

May 27, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 35
Seems like I may have to go with O2's. It may actually be cheaper than trying to get the SR-404's to sound the way I want. I also have pretty much what I need to run them fairly well (EA-1), I just need the source... not what my wallet wanted to hear in either case though
tongue.gif
Thanks guys.

May 29, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 35
the keep it simple stupid method says:

rega planet 2000>siltech pro ics>stax 006t>stax sr404

that is my system, yeah, if i had the money i would probably get the omegas, but even if i did, i would not get rid of the 404s, they are true giant killers.

both cdp and amp plugged into wall outlet, screw power conditioner unless you have serious power issues and screw eq.

May 30, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #14 of 35
Balanced star quad canare cables into the SRM 717 reduced some of the upper midrange peakiness of the Lambda Nova Signatures. Do any of your sources have balanced outputs?

May 30, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #15 of 35
I don't have anything with balanced outputs just yet, which is why a balanced DAC is first on the list, though I'm not sure which one exactly. Once I have that, I'll run the SR-404 with the EA-1 in balanced mode and see how that goes. If I still don't like it, it's time for the SR-007. Of course, a DAC that's good for the SR-404 might not be good for the SR-007... ahh, the choices, the choices!

confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back