SR-325i / MS-2i Portability
Jan 6, 2006 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NaOH

100+ Head-Fier
Had a conversation with Boodi, and he suggested that either of these would be inapplicable as far as portable use is concerned.

He only suggested this because they were heavy, though. Is there any other reason they wouldn't work? The SR-80's are doing phenominally, and I want to know that when I keep going up the chain, I'll not be screwing myself out of a portable setup.

Jan 6, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 18
- They leak sound, just like any Grado.

- Those beautiful metal bodies are prone to get scratched and tempt would-be thieves.

- They are heavier and more cumbersome to carry than the SR-80. Do not think if you can comfortably carry the plastic SR-80, the metal Grados will be as light.

- 325/MS-2 are terminated in 1/4" plug. You will need to carry a converter, which makes things all the more cumbersome.

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 18
They are, cumbersome to carry around; have a thick cable that's prone to twisting; let a lot of sound out and in; make a very temping target for robbers. They don't really stay on very well either if you're planning do anything active with them.

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmanc
They are, cumbersome to carry around; have a thick cable that's prone to twisting; let a lot of sound out and in; make a very temping target for robbers. They don't really stay on very well either if you're planning do anything active with them.

Well, like I said, the SR-80's are working out well.

Leaking in and out isn't a concern (I don't care if other people are forced to listen to what I'm listening to, and for the most part I haven't noticed a problem with not being able to hear my music...). The thick cable is doing quite alright, and twisting isn't a big deal.

And I'm a lazy, lazy guy. I even avoid lengthy flights of stairs if I can.
wink.gif

Is that it, then? If so, I'm definitely going to go for them (eventually).

Jan 6, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 18
It's your call. I have a MS-1 that I would consider for portable use only if I sitting on my arse outside all day, although I would not like to carry something as large as the sr325i/ms2 which I would have to be mindful of at all times to prevent me damaging/losing them.

Jan 6, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 18
I wear my MS2 out sometimes and it is bulky and heavy. Physically, yes it can be done, but its far from ideal.

KSC75 is preferred.

Garrett

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 18
I lugged around a pair of sr-325's for a couple years and never had many complaints. The only problem I can see is you having to crank up the volume in order to hear over the ambiant noise traffic, inside the bus or where ever. Grado's in particular will give you hearing damage due to thier exagerated high end.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 18
I use ms-2 portably daily, so nyah nyah.

Jan 7, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 18
Cue Jahn... I know he used to use a 325i and an MS2i in his portable rig at various times in the past year. You might want to PM him in case he doesn't notice this thread.

I personally can't see myself using any Grado can in a portable sitatuation. It's not simply that they're a bit bulky and dorky looking (that's never stopped me before), but they simply leak too much sound in and out. Hopefully the upcoming Grado street styles will be be slightly less leaky.

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I wear my MS2 out sometimes and it is bulky and heavy. Physically, yes it can be done, but its far from ideal.

KSC75 is preferred.

LOL i bet it is

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #13 of 18
Out of all the Grados, they a bit slippery on my head. I guess it's the weight of them. I wouldn't mind walking around with any prestige series cans, as they are pretty light, and so is the reference series, but I wouldn't take a chance on ruining that wood!
rs1smile.gif

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 18
btw if you post a ksc35 / 75 portability thread - then you'll not receive a negative post .

It's clear that sr-325i or ms-2i are less then ideal for portable ... they can fall , scratch , you can't move your head fast ( or they'll drop ) , you can't run with them even for a slow run / a while ( they will fall ) , the cable is bulky ( but this is the less ) , they are all metallic-bulky and not lightweight at all - what portable situation are you talking about ... a gym ? an everyday 1hr bus trip ? a 4 hr train trip you do twice a week ? a car ? or walking in crowdly environment ? where do you live ? big city or else ? who you are ? no this one wasn't supposed to be asked
tongue.gif

what else...
I'd say : no , they are by no mean "portable" cans, they have shortcomings when used portable, and one is going have to do with them . Transportable? maybe yes .. but i would think more the rs-1 and hf-1 as transportable .

there's some better option for full-size & portable , hd-25 is one of those and they don't cost too much , it's a nice change on grado sound and it's only 1 example .

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #15 of 18
Grados are semi-portable, but only the SR series. The bulky cable and 1/4 inch plug are a dead giveaway... don't wear the higher-end cans in public! The large aluminum cups will make you look like a fool.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back