SR-225s or MS-2is?
Nov 8, 2006 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

auris

100+ Head-Fier
I'm enjoying my MS-1s quite a bit...but in true HeadFi fashion I'm thinking of moving up the Grado food chain. Can't bring myself (yet) to spend the money for MS-Pros, but have been thinking of buying SR-225's or MS-2is. Will be using them for rock and jazz.

Can someone with experience with these two sets of cans tell me:

--which one is brighter through the high frequencies?

-which one is bassier?

-what sonic advantages, if any, would I get from MS-2is that would be lacking with SR-225's? (and vice-versa).

I've read lots and lots of threads on these cans using the search function...but have really not seen any dealing with these specific questions.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Nov 8, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 7
I can't add a thing about the sound, but I CAN make a couple points about some other differences that I'm noticing about the variations between my MS-1s and my MS2i.

The MS2i is quite a bit heavier!(Yeah! Really!)I added an extra 100gm of weight to the height adjusters of the MS-1 to see if I could handle it first, before buying the MS2i.

The headband is much nicer, as are those beautifull aluminum housings!!

....and what the heck! You'd be two thirds of the way to a full set!!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
rs1smile.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Wow... I get to say this twice in ten minutes!

I haven't heard the MS2i, but they are, of course, based on the Grado 325i.

I think you'll be amazed at just how significant a leap the 325i (and presumably MS2i) is from even the SR225, let alone the SR60/80/MS1... but they're bright. Try before you buy.

A suitable nickname for Grado aluminums as dubbed by the treble sensitive would be "tubular bells". They're awesome... but very bright.

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 7
1)which one is brighter through the high frequencies?
-ms2 but it wont hurt your ear too much..

2)which one is bassier?
-225 is bassier, quantitatively. ms2 has better/deeper bass, qualitatively

3)what sonic advantages, if any, would I get from MS-2is that would be lacking with SR-225's? (and vice-versa).
-ms2 has more extension both high and low. it feels like 225 has all that somewhat compressed which made it sound more aggressive and forward, compared to ms2..

Nov 9, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies. The sound qualities listed pretty much confirmed what I suspected...but it helped to hear it from people experienced with the cans. Since I live in Bright City already (have DT 880s) I'm leaning toward the 225s (actually I want both...but you know how that goes...one set at a time). This might be decided by a coin toss.

Nov 9, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #7 of 7
I'd go for the MS-2i. You get better stuff (aluminum housing and leather headband) as well as deeper bass and balanced sound (i.e. more suitable across genres). Also, the soundstage is supposed to be slightly improved.

It's your call. The Head-Fi way, however, is to aim higher.

Excelsior!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back