SR 225s Are here
Aug 26, 2004 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JeremyE

New Head-Fier
Welp I just got my SR 225s today.

Opening The Box:

My first reaction was, $200 oh my god what did I do, cardboard box, cheap headband, stinks like bengay, no 1/4 1/8 adapter. *insert frowny face here*

Listening to music: (New, no burn in)

Oh so thats where the money went
biggrin.gif

Weak bass so far, but besides that everything sounds much better, the sound so far is much brighter then my HD570s.

Now to break them in and get an amp.

Aug 26, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 17
I wonder why the SR80's come with a 1/8" --> 1/4" adapter, but the SR225's don't come with a 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter even though they cost roughly twice as much. Weird...

Anyway, I agree that the packaging and build quality could be a bit better on the Grados, but ohhhhh does the sound make up for it. Just be careful with them and they should last you a long time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I wonder why the SR80's come with a 1/8" --> 1/4" adapter, but the SR225's don't come with a 1/4" --> 1/8" adapter even though they cost roughly twice as much. Weird...
smily_headphones1.gif

It's because the sr-225 (as well has the 125/325/rs2/rs1/etc) are meant to be home phones. The sr-60/80 are for portable (and home) use.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyE
Welp I just got my SR 225s today.
Oh so thats where the money went
biggrin.gif

Weak bass so far, but besides that everything sounds much better, the sound so far is much brighter then my HD570s.

Get the flat pads from Todd. That'll cure the weak bass.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #5 of 17
Oops. Double post. Please delete.

Aug 26, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 17
The hd570 pads are circumaural right? They may change the sound too drastically, to the point of un-grado-ness. You could always try the sock mod.

Aug 26, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyE
Opening The Box:

My first reaction was, $200 oh my god what did I do, cardboard box, cheap headband, stinks like bengay.. *insert frowny face here*

tongue.gif

ps: all the best with your new cans!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Same here. I am through my 4th week with my SR225. I have not had any experience with good heaphones in the past but so far I like what I hear.
I agree that at first bass sounds weak, especially out of a portable. I auditioned it with a good headphone amp and it was much better in that respect (and all respects for that matter, but no budget for an amp yet). Anyway, after a while it gets better (or you ears learns to appreciate what it already has).
Anyway my advice to you is to stop reading this site for a while and spend some time to really listen to the cans and then draw your conclusions.
I didn't to that, so I have already bought the flats (which at first, I had discarted as outrageously expensive) and since I have mixed feelings (it depends on the music, in some cases I miss the details of the highs you loose with the flats or it gets too bassy for my tastes), who knows what's coming next.
I think I should follow my own advice and stop right now ....

Aug 26, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 17
When I heard the 225, I thought they were quite a step up from my ms-1. Impactful, quick bass. More higher end detail with less roll off than the ms-1. It was, however, a tad more coloured in the midrange, imo. I liked it so much, im saving up for its big brother, the rs-1!

Aug 27, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitlets
When I heard the 225, I thought they were quite a step up from my ms-1. Impactful, quick bass. More higher end detail with less roll off than the ms-1. It was, however, a tad more coloured in the midrange, imo. I liked it so much, im saving up for its big brother, the rs-1!

Have you thought about trying the MS-2's?

Aug 27, 2004 at 4:26 AM Post #15 of 17
haha, yes. i intend on trying the ms-2s very shortly. I'm still looking towards the rs-1 once funds permit, and will then compare them to the ms-2, unless the ms2s just entirely blow me away to the point where I feel like I don't need the rs-1. I'd still love to compare them, however, unless someone does that for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back