sr-225 or ms-2?
Jun 11, 2004 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

rhizome

Head-Fier
i have the 225s currently, and really enjoy them. when i first went back to them after getting etys, i thought they sounded like split pee soup due to the comparatively lackluster highs. i have since rediscovered the fun, exciting sound i had always loved before. however, i'd still love to have more clarity and extension in the high end, and a more controlled low end, while retaining the grado sound.

i thought maybe the rs-1/ms-pros would be right for me, but after hearing the rs-1 again at hirsch's meet, i've decided they aren't what i'm looking for - the ps-1s are
smily_headphones1.gif
but alas, i am only a poor undergrad, and the price tag places them far out of reach. now i'm seeing comments that the ms-2s are closer to the ps-1 sound. do the ms-2s offer what i'm looking for, but on a smaller scale? can anyone compare them to the 225s? thanks.

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
They sound almost as good as the much hyped and much pricer PS-1. They will give you about 90% of the sound.

It's hard to ignore that statement. After hearing that I'm very close to skipping the SR225s (which were my next planned headphone purchase) altogether and going straight to the MS2s.

I gather that most people you are going to talk to who have listened to both the SR225 and the MS2 (which won't be many) will prefer the latter. But that's just my prediction...

Jun 11, 2004 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
I've had both sr-225 and now have a ms-2. Go for the ms-2
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you forsee any situations where a person might prefer the SR225 to the MS2?

Jun 12, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Do you forsee any situations where a person might prefer the SR225 to the MS2?

Ms-2 sounds very simlar to the sr-225, just it's bit more netural and has more detail.. and better bass ... and better soundstage ...

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah Alessandro's simply have more details than their Grado counterparts but nobody wants to accept this truth because most people on Head-Fi use Grado's.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 9
People want to make the safe decision. That's why they come to head-fi and ask everyone to tell them if a product is ok.

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
People want to make the safe decision. That's why they come to head-fi and ask everyone to tell them if a product is ok.

I don't know that that is true, I think phrasing it as "They want to make sure that the gear they are investing their hard earned money in is the best that they can get for their needs and budget" would be both less derogatory and a lot more accurate!
tongue.gif

Jun 12, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #9 of 9
I had BOTH of those headphones in my system for many weeks, I liked them both. But, to me the MS-2 is the better of the two, just make sure you get a nice amp for them. All Grados kind of sound the same, they all share that same sound and also please note that the Music Series is in fact made at Grado Labs, make no mistake about that. They just sound less warm and tighter, more detailed (or at least it is cleaner since it not as colored) than their counter parts, with the exception of the HP-2 and PS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back