sr-225 or hd-580
Mar 21, 2002 at 6:17 PM Post #16 of 24
Thanks Cajun for writing back. It only took you 12 - no joke - emails to respond.

Your calling me a clown - doesn't help and doesn't address the issue.

You said that the unit was in perfect working order. (The price $10 assumes that the rest of the purchase price was allocated to the headphones - which you couldn't sell w/o adding this accessory as I recall)

You certainly could have done a much better job at packing this (Box loosely filled w/peanuts that did not hold the items well at all)

I don't expect any guarantees, but don't sell me a piece of crap and call me a whiner. (Frankly, I don't believe that this unit worked when you sent it - but I could be wrong)

When you say ...Perfect working condition... That means not DOA!

I am more than happy to send all back to you, minus the $10 and pay for shipping, if you refund the $'s. Or to do anything else that is FAIR.

If you look at my ebay rating you will see that I have nothing but numerous positive replies as a frequent buyer.

Finally, I really expected more from a member of this forum. True, I am a fairly junior member, but my experience w/Lextek was a great one in purchasing gear. And my experence w/total strangers on ebay and other places was predominantly positive. So I expected at least good faith and good communication from you.

I would appreciate a mature and positive effort to resolve this, that doesn't take an additional 10 emails to get one response.

Mar 21, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #17 of 24
I'm going to assume jude will agree with me here and say:
Please leave personal disbutes outside of the public forums, settle it through private messages. Thanks.

Todd - I'm sorry that your thread got hijacked, it happens a lot. My personal recommendation is go for the HD-580, they sound great out of almost anything. If you are price conscious about headphone amp, I highly recommend atleast give one a try, send a highly respected member named JMT and ask about his cha47 and cmoy pocket amps. They sound wonderful, and are truely remarkable deals. You can read my thoughts on a custom cha47 amp optimized for the Sennheiser HD600 here.

Mar 22, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #18 of 24
if you are posting here, I think honestly you need both. You'll need the Senns to listen to anything and be your comfort food. You'll need to the Grados to get whipped by the music and really LISTEN to it and be impacted. Some people don't like being whipped by the music... whatever.. that's individual taste. Some people like me think the Senns are too laid-back to be worth our time. It depends who you ask, and how you want to listen which you will choose. Best to get both if you can, and selll one off if you never use it.

Mar 22, 2002 at 5:19 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by The Quality Guru
I'm a bit confused; I'd appreciate it if someone could clear this up for me:

Is the CHA47 the only model of altoid/ penguin amp that JMT makes?

Are the Penguin Mints Amp and the Altiod Mints Amp different housings for the same amp or two electronically different amps?

The CMOY- is that a type of pocket amp (I know it's made by Chu Moy) but I know little about this amp.

Thanks a lot for any help.
TQG

The Cmoy is a bit larger, at least the one i got build by JMT. It takes (2) 9 volts and powers my Senn 580's quite well, much better than the altoids which doesn't do a very good job and comes off more of a volume booster than anything else. I also like the crossfeed function with the 580's. IMHO of course.

Mar 22, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #20 of 24
Tkam, this is not a fair comparison. You can compare the Senns 580 to the Grados SR 325, not the 225.
I used to have both ( 580 and 325) and I sold the Senns. ATotal Airhead is enough to drive Grados to its full potential. On the other hand you will never be able to drive the 580 to its full potential without an expensive headphone amp.

Mar 22, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by mariowar
Tkam, this is not a fair comparison. You can compare the Senns 580 to the Grados SR 325, not the 225.

Why is it not a fair comparision? You can get the HD600 for just over $200, and the HD580 for around $150, while the Grado 225 are $195 pretty much everywhere in the U.S. So from a price and/or value standpoint, both Senns are a good comparison.

I think a better criticism of the comparison between the 580 and the 225 is that the 225 don't need an amp, while the 580 do.

Mar 23, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #22 of 24
Gloco, thanks for the response. I guess I'll try not to 'hijack' threads in the future by asking irrelevant questions in the midst of a debate like this.

Mar 23, 2002 at 10:02 PM Post #23 of 24
Mac Def, it does not matter if the prices now are about the same, the original price of the Senns 600 was about 400 dollars and the price for the 580 was above 300 dollars.... The hd 600 and the 580 are the top of the Dynamic line of Senns. What it means that you could only compare them with the top of the line of the Grados, THE REFERENCE line. That's why I tell you that is not fair to compare those Senns to a Grado model (225) that is not even in the top of the line of the Prestige series that is below of the Reference line.......

Mar 23, 2002 at 10:24 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by mariowar
Mac Def, it does not matter if the prices now are about the same

It totally matters, since people generally buy at a price point.

Quote:

the original price of the Senns 600 was about 400 dollars and the price for the 580 was above 300 dollars.... The hd 600 and the 580 are the top of the Dynamic line of Senns. What it means that you could only compare them with the top of the line of the Grados, THE REFERENCE line. That's why I tell you that is not fair to compare those Senns to a Grado model (225) that is not even in the top of the line of the Prestige series that is below of the Reference line....... [/B]

But "original" prices, and where a model sits in its product line, are irrelevant. If a the HD580 are currently available for $150, and the Grado 225 are currently $195, then why would any one trying to buy headphones for less than $200 not compare the two? Why would you force someone to compare the $220 HD600 to the $700 RS-1?

People usually have a price they can afford, and compare headphones they can buy for that price. The fact that for the same price you get Senn's 2nd- or 3rd-from-the-top headphone, and Grado's 4th-from-the-top doesn't really matter. tkam was looking to buy a pair of headphones at a certain price point. The HD580 and SR225 were both around that price point. So it makes perfect sense to compare them.

That's like saying that you can't compare the Philips HP910 to the Grado SR-80, because the 910 is the top of the line while the SR80 is the 3rd from the bottom (with five models above it). The fact is they're about the same price (in the US) and are thus headphones that someone is likely to compare and consider purchasing.

It's not our fault that Senn's 2nd from the top HD600 sells for $220, while Grado's 2nd from the top costs $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back