SR-202 leaking out ?
Oct 11, 2010 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Headdie

100+ Head-Fier
I went to the audio shop for listening to an SRS-2050 kit. I was amazed by the noise leaking in, probably because of the large opening and thin driver... So I understand that you have to use them in a quiet room.

But what about leaking out ? Would my wife complain if I use them while she is in the same room ?

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 7
Well, it depends also on the music volume and the type of music you are listening to. Yeah, and of wife, choosing her right could be even more relevant to the matter at hand.
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to listen to my 303s in bed next to my wife. Chamber music was OK (piano could be heard but was not annoying, cello was ok almost regardless of volume, trumpet otoh was a no-no even at low levels). In daytime I almost never had complains (volume knob at 9:30 o'clock, 2V output CD player), but she could hear a bit of music coming from the phones.
One advice: use some K1000s for a while. Then switch to Stax. She'll be grateful. You'll be happy.
...and they lived happily ever after.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Yes, I always wear my Stax when I'm in bed with my wife, in case you were wondering
tongue.gif
. It's called fidelity
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #5 of 7
My wife is also not bothered by my open-back Stax.

If you are really concerned, there is the 4070 although it is expensive and in my brief exposure to it I didn't like it at all.  Given that Stax is currently remaking much its line-up with what look like new drivers, at least with the Lambdas,  I wouldn't take the 4070 just because I suspect it will also get a make-over soon.

There is also the 003, with currently no sign of a makover and is only about $150.00 from Japan and at most volume levels leaks very little sound.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 7

Don Quichotte said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, it depends also on the music volume and the type of music you are listening to. Yeah, and of wife, choosing her right could be even more relevant to the matter at hand.
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to listen to my 303s in bed next to my wife. Chamber music was OK (piano could be heard but was not annoying, cello was ok almost regardless of volume, trumpet otoh was a no-no even at low levels). In daytime I almost never had complains (volume knob at 9:30 o'clock, 2V output CD player), but she could hear a bit of music coming from the phones.
One advice: use some K1000s for a while. Then switch to Stax. She'll be grateful. You'll be happy.
...and they lived happily ever after.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Yes, I always wear my Stax when I'm in bed with my wife, in case you were wondering
tongue.gif
. It's called fidelity
biggrin.gif

This is what I'm looking for, Thanks for your sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back