SR-125: The Stepchild of the Grado Line?
Nov 21, 2005 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aufeuer

100+ Head-Fier
I've had a pair of these for around 2 months now and wasn't very happy about them initially. They were both physically and sonically painful for the first few weeks, but now I think I've gotten used them. (I'm using bowls, btw) I think I'm slowly falling in love with them.

This is my first pair of Grado cans, and I was wondering what other people here think of them. I think these are the most ignored and overlooked of the SR line, despite the fact that they share the so called "legendary" status with the SR-60.

Anyone love their SR-125s? I'd like to hear more praise for these cans (if any) vs. the other Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, should I expect the sound to change/improve still after a bit more use?

Looking forward to read your replies. Thanks!

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 20
Hello? Is this testament to the majority's lack of opinion on these cans?
tongue.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 20
They were the first cans I bought. I love them too. I can see what you mean, they may be overlooked by a lot of peeps. I choose them over the sr-80's in the local hi-end audio store and loved them ever since. Got the hf-1's now and haven't gone back too often..

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 20
The SR125 actually had a better rep than the SR325 (old version) and the RS-2 for a while, but then folks in the know started getting MS-1s, since they were cheaper but provided "better" sound (imho the MS-1 is different, and yes to me it's better, but some folks prefer the more classic "John Grado" sound of the SR125).

Now with the new SR325i and the RS-2 going thru a revival of interest, the SR125 is indeed getting left in the dust in terms of interest. But it's still a good can for the price.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 20
I think Jahn's right; people tend to recommend the MS-1 over the SR125 as it's believed the MS-1's drivers are based on the SR125 driver, but they're cheaper. That's the major reason it's less prominent than other Grados.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #8 of 20
The SR125 is my first Grado and I love them. Right now they are only 3 weeks old. I bought them at Harvey's for $129.98. I thought the highs where gonna be too much for me, but with the proper burn in they sound great.

Nov 21, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I think Jahn's right; people tend to recommend the MS-1 over the SR125 as it's believed the MS-1's drivers are based on the SR125 driver, but they're cheaper. That's the major reason it's less prominent than other Grados.

John Grado himself, told Zanth that the drivers in the MS-1 are original, not based off another can.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 20
I started my adventure with the SR-80s, mostly because it was right at the price point I was aiming for. However, for some reason, when I think of the SR-125 it just seems a little blah to me. This is all from reading about them, and never hearing them. I think it's because it's not a "stop" in the Grado line that a lot of people make... SR-60 is a big starter can, so is MS-1, then after that people tend to jump right into the 225 or higher. I just don't hear about the 125 a lot. Though, it has supposedly won a lot of awards so who knows.

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 20
jbloudg: so he did, but that was only relatively recently, and the poster was asking about something that covers quite a long period of time. Maybe I should have written "it was believed" rather than "it's believed" :O

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #14 of 20
I was not impressed with them when compared to the rest of the lineup - the difference between it and the 225 was absolutely huge and well worth the money; if someone had a firm budget limited to the sr 125 i'd reccommend the used 225 - even the sr 60 with a small amp IMHO blows the 125 away at the same price

also with the hf-1 going for the price of the 225 there is such a vast difference in sound between the hf-1 and the 125 for such a relatively small amount of cash and this has probably further buried the 125

just my 2 cents

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vkamicht
I started my adventure with the SR-80s, mostly because it was right at the price point I was aiming for. However, for some reason, when I think of the SR-125 it just seems a little blah to me. This is all from reading about them, and never hearing them. I think it's because it's not a "stop" in the Grado line that a lot of people make... SR-60 is a big starter can, so is MS-1, then after that people tend to jump right into the 225 or higher. I just don't hear about the 125 a lot. Though, it has supposedly won a lot of awards so who knows.

Yeah, I have to agree. I got my SR-80 cause well it was like $10 more than a SR-60 and thus best cheapest Grado. Yet, I'm not returning it to get another can thats $25-35 more. Especially when the differene is well not worth the trouble. So, I went for the HF-1, thats a deal and sold my other Grado. So, I skipped all the way to SR-225/HF-1s. I was thinking of going for just 225s for $50 less, but then decided that the limited edition warranted a splurge form my regular $175 glass roof. So, the SR-125 is sort of like SR-325/RS-2. I mean people usually go SR-60/80 -> SR-225/ HF-1 -> RS-1. Or they just skip the middle one if they have money. I mean it just seems slightly arbitrary and unnessecary to go for 125/325/RS-2. You either go bare bones, best price for punch, or top of the line. You don't go sort of bare bones or almost top of the line. So, if anyone isn't all confused after that.... I know I am.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back