Squeezebox/Transporter question
May 18, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #106 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You work your whole life, to be the best DAC that you can be, and somebody comes along and labels you as "only adequate".
frown.gif

It's a cold cruel world out there, my friends.

It sounds like you speak from experience.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it hold against the G08 and the DV50?

What he said. Get back to work.

May 18, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #107 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does it hold against the G08 and the DV50?

Havent heard the G08, but LOL at vs the DV50. Yeah these aren't remotely in the same league ;p

The Transporter does use a sweet DAC, but only one and it is surrounded with cheap op amps! Or so I've read on APL hifi's forums.

May 18, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #108 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Havent heard the G08, but LOL at vs the DV50. Yeah these aren't remotely in the same league ;p

The Transporter does use a sweet DAC, but only one and it is surrounded with cheap op amps! Or so I've read on APL hifi's forums.

So you're saying stick with my DV-50.
wink.gif
I'm using the SB3 with the Apogee Mini DAC. If you don't need balanced outs and want a souce that is computer based go with the SB3/Apogee and save yourself $1,000 at retail.

May 18, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #109 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh yes they are, my Icarium friend. Now, what did we all say about offering comments on something that one hasn't heard. We all signed a waiver when we joined, saying we wouldn't do that
evil_smiley.gif

I spent hours comparing the DV-50 and the G08 and the Cary 306/200.

Putting the Cary aside, the G08 and the DV-50 doing Redbook are definitely in the same league.

I will do a DV-50/TP comparison. I need to run a CD in the Esoteric and run a .flac version through the TP at the same time to A/B it. I will be using speakers.
I'll sacrifice my spare time for the team and won't stop until I come up with some serious, undeniable results
rs1smile.gif

May 18, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #110 of 164
Quote:

I'll sacrifice my spare time for the team and won't stop until I come up with some serious, undeniable results
rs1smile.gif

Like you have something better to do.
k1000smile.gif

A little off topic, has anyone else installed the Sirius plugin for the SB3? I think I may upgrade to the higher bitrate stream from Sirius. I just installed it on mine and it works great (well the sq isn't great but I think better than some of the other internet radio that is available.)

Just upgraded to the better service which takes it from 32 to 128. Definitely an improvement.

May 19, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #111 of 164
Just recieved MY SB3 for $229 from slimdevices,I need to go over someones house with My external Hardrive
very_evil_smiley.gif

I will run the SB3 through my EmmLabs Dac6e once I get it set up.
wink.gif

May 19, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #112 of 164
Never trust the opinions of other's (except mine...of course...that's different
icon10.gif
)

Listening to Joey DeFrancesco's "Good Vibes", and Herbie Han****'s "Gershwin's World", I have been knocked down onto the floor in the difference beteen the Transporter's DAC and the DV-50. We're talking Ultimate Fighting Knockdown.
The Esoteric DV-50 blows away the analog out of the Transporter.

The spatial presentation and the depth of the center stage, the ability to sustain a note above 1000htz, the depth and clarity and amount or air around each bass note under 200htz, is day and night between the two. The DV-50 is emotionally involving and the Transporter puts you there, but not "in there".

So the Transporter nudged out the ACK! dACK!, but the DV-50 left the Transporter standing at the bus stop looking for it's backpack.

May 19, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #113 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any combination of SB ( not modded ) + DAC , that wil be close to TP sound quality and still in reasonable for not to buy TP price ?

Thnx

I don't know if this counts as not modded, but I would recommend the linear power supply for the SB. This does improve the SB as a transport.

I haven't heard the TP in a non-meet setting so I can't recommend an external DAC that would come close to it.

May 19, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #114 of 164
Quote:

Never trust the opinions of other's (except mine...of course...that's different
icon10.gif
)

Listening to Joey DeFrancesco's "Good Vibes", and Herbie Han****'s "Gershwin's World", I have been knocked down onto the floor in the difference beteen the Transporter's DAC and the DV-50. We're talking Ultimate Fighting Knockdown.
The Esoteric DV-50 blows away the analog out of the Transporter.

The spatial presentation and the depth of the center stage, the ability to sustain a note above 1000htz, the depth and clarity and amount or air around each bass note under 200htz, is day and night between the two. The DV-50 is emotionally involving and the Transporter puts you there, but not "in there".

So the Transporter nudged out the ACK! dACK!, but the DV-50 left the Transporter standing at the bus stop looking for it's backpack.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised by that. The DV-50 stays.
k1000smile.gif

May 19, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #115 of 164
It's a keeper (especially @50lbs.)

I'd really like to see if the Lavry or the Benchmark and the TP could give the DV-50 a run for it's money.

Anyone who lives close to me and has one, wants to give it a try. Of course the usual suspects are welcome, too.

May 19, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #117 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girardian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Had the chance to hear the DV-50 at the 2007 Head-fi gathering -- very solid player. But it always begs the question of what it would sound like with modifications .... Ah, the fertile mind is a dangerous playground!

I've wondered the same thing.

May 19, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #118 of 164
Quote:

It's a keeper (especially @50lbs.)

I'd really like to see if the Lavry or the Benchmark and the TP could give the DV-50 a run for it's money.

Anyone who lives close to me and has one, wants to give it a try. Of course the usual suspects are welcome, too.

immtbiker,
How were you feeding the DV-50 ?

lol, forget about it, I just figured out its a Unviersal CDP and not a DAC.

P.S
you are killing me,
Just when I thought the TP is a top notch DAC, you come with the report on the DV-50, now I am confused again
confused.gif

May 20, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #120 of 164
Quote:

That's THE burning question for many, I presume. At least it's mine.
icon10.gif

The transport is a fine device with worthy DAC and multiple connections but for transport only duty (steaming) isn't the Squeezebox all that's required? The 'Transport' is a better transport than the SB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back