Squeezebox , some many different options!
Sep 6, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #16 of 24
wow, didn't know my cdp was that good, I saw people comparing their SB's with much more expensive players
eggosmile.gif

Sep 6, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
While others might find differences, I simply don't hear any and feel that if you have a DAC you like, the SB3 can definitely be used as an audiophile transport.

I was going to ask you about this. Very interesting observation.

I know on my mid-fi system, I can't any degradation using the SB3 w/ linear power supply as a "transport".

For using as a standalone source, I think your getting pretty much what you paid for in the stock SB3. Pretty good for $300 but that's about it. I have not heard the CA player.

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by robert1325
wow, didn't know my cdp was that good, I saw people comparing their SB's with much more expensive players
eggosmile.gif

I think you misunderstood someone somehwere regarding comparing SB's with much more expensive players. Most likely people were not comparing the analog stage of the SB to the analog stage of expensive CDP's but rather paired with a nice external DAC.

As far as the analog stage of the SB3 goes, I found that the single Burr-Brown PCM1748 DAC and NJM 2041 opamp combination in the SB2 and SB3 is pretty rough and non-synergistic. A few modders including Red Wine Audio have reported that replacing the opamp with a Burr-Brown one improved the analog stage significantly. I have been happy with my external DAC combo.

Sep 7, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #20 of 24
"A squeezebox without any mods and a better dac like the lite- dac 68 or xindak dac3 mkII or maybe an MDHT Paradesia( getting an amplifier from china so this will save shipping costs)"

This is what I would recommend. I also recommend getting an inexpensive "Power One" brand 5-volt 2+ amp linear power supply and boxing it yourself. (I'm assuming you have a soldering iron and know how to use it. Sorry if not.)

I also am a fan of the MHDT labs dacs. (check my other posts)

Keeping your squeezebox stock saves your warranty. It will also make it easier to sell without eating a loss if you want to move to a transporter later. With an unmodified SB and a linear PS I am quite happy.

-Dan

Sep 7, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 24
Im starting to feel that transporter's word clock sync is not going to make a dramatic improvement over the sb3. just instinct..........

Sep 22, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 24
Hello,

I bought a SB2 with the bolder basic PS, They are both being modded by bolder now, The SB2 is getting the analog mods ( gen2 / platinium sonic cap) and boldercompany will rewire the PS to 240V + some mods .

I'll give a write-up soon

Thanks for all the help...

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:08 PM Post #23 of 24
Received the bolder modded SB2 and the PS a week ago...
( Sonicap gen2/Platinium analog mods + PS Mods)

Wow, what a great upgrade from my cambridge 640C cd-player!

Right out of the box it sounded very open and detailed, but a bit thin and grainy. Now a week later after 24/7 of burning in, It sounds very full.

tight bass, smooth highs , Depth, Width, focus, Details(macro and micro) it has everything. I don't feel like upgrading my amplifier now, but spending my money on cables ....

It sounds very neutral ,musical and analog like, it reminds me of vinyl.

This thing simply rocks!
blink.gif

P1010053.JPG

P1010054.JPG

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci
Is Mauimods still doing the linear PSU upgrade for the SB3?

I would like to know this myself.I went ahead and sent another email to them so hopefully there is a responce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back