Squeezebox/SlimServer experiences (pro/con)?
Jul 13, 2005 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
I had a few problems a year ago with dropped signals and the SlimServer (a few versions back) and was wondering what members experiences have been, especially since Squeezebox2? Additionally, if there are any OS X users that would be a big plus.

Trying to get my gear away from the computer and considering this or the Airport Express (would prefer display of the Squeezebox2, but know the APX works 'cause I tested a couple).

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 15
I have a couple SB1s and an SB2. I am very happy with SlimServer, controlled via TelCanto through my PDA and the SB2 digital out is bit-perfect so sound quality is not an issue.

But, I have never been able to use wireless connectivity with either the SB1 or SB2 in my home without occassional dropouts while playing FLACs. MP3s, encloded with -aps are problem-free.

Fortunately, I have wired ethernet where necessary, so this is only a nuisance. Caveat emptor.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 15
Thanks Jim. That was my experience with the SlimServer previously also. MP3s fine. Anything else (tested mostly ALACs transcoded to WAV) drop-outs. To be fair I was using it with a Soundbridge, not Squeezebox, so I was hoping for better results. Plus I as hoping the B to G wireless improvement would help.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 15
Maybe you already did it but I would ask on Slim Devices forums what difference if any does 811G make.

I use wired SB1 and it's great
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #5 of 15
I have both SB1 and SB2 and I love them both. My SB2 is wireless and I've never had a dropout problem with either wav or flac files. The SB2 has incredible range on it; it can find networks that netstumbler can't. The display on SB2 is better than the SB1 but SB1 is still quite good. SB1 is bit-perfect except for an inverted phase. SB2 is 100% bit perfect. I do have a couple issues with the new slimserver. I haven't really taken the initiative to look into them though. Navigating the menu is different. When I pick an album to play, instead of just being able to scroll to a new album I instead have to go backwards through the options to the main menus (internet radio, search, browse, etc) scroll to a new selection, scroll back to browse and then pick an album. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, but it's like I have to refresh the system or something. It's probably just a setting or organization thing, but the older slimsever versions didn't do it.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 15
I have a wireless SB2 running as my transport into an Audio Mirror DAC (non-oversampling) via coaxial digital interconnect using FLAC encoded files. I am simply amazed at how good it is as a transport. I was using a Sony DVP-S7000 as my transport before and, well, there is no comparison. And the jitter performance of the Sony was reportedly very low already. The jitter levels of the SB2 are extremely low and are clearly audible - this is not some subtle effect that has you straining to hear a difference.

One major benefit with the SB2 vs the SB1 is it's large buffer. I've have shut down my computer running Slimserver v6.0.2 and music still plays from the SB2 for around 10-12 seconds afterwards. I have never run into any problems with dropouts, etc... Also mentioned, the bit-perfect output.

I have also tested it's ability to reject RFI interference, such as from a microwave, etc... No problems were noted.

My computer (server) is located upstairs and my SB2 is located downstairs. The signal has to go through several walls and a floor. My reception on the SB2 is reportedly around 60% according to Slimserver.

The only thing I have noticed is that the text display sometimes sputters in an area with multiple wireless networks, e.g., in an apartment/condo complex. I have 6 other neighbouring wireless signals in my vicinity. This doesn't appear to affect the sound quality, but does sometimes cause a very slight delay in menu/display selection on the SB2.

Another bonus, if you are into modding, there are a number of developments down the pipe from aftermarket companies and avid DIY'ers - battery powered power supplies, external AC power supplies, various mods to their internal circuitry and DAC, etc...

Apparently "Vinnie" from Red Wine Audio is already running his SB2 from an external battery supply and has modded his SB2 internally. He mentioned to me that once modded, the internal DACs sound better than external DACs...

Once you go Squeezebox, it's hard to go back to conventional sources...

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by WK446
Another bonus, if you are into modding, there are a number of developments down the pipe from aftermarket companies and avid DIY'ers - battery powered power supplies, external AC power supplies, various mods to their internal circuitry and DAC, etc...

Apparently "Vinnie" from Red Wine Audio is already running his SB2 from an external battery supply and has modded his SB2 internally. He mentioned to me that once modded, the internal DACs sound better than external DACs...

I've got a SB1... and I'm debating getting an SB2 with the recent price drops.

Can you tell me more, or point me somewhere to find out more about these SB2 mods?

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-Gonzo
Can you tell me more, or point me somewhere to find out more about these SB2 mods?

As I mentioned before, e-mail Vinnie at Red Wine Audio. The SB2 mods are not listed on his website yet, but I have been corresponding with him about them.

Also try the audiophile forum at Slim Devices --> HERE

It is also possible that Empirical Audio may be doing SB2 mods in the future. I would e-mail Steve there and ask.

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
... I do have a couple issues with the new slimserver. I haven't really taken the initiative to look into them though. ...

I just installed the version 6.1 SlimServer that was released yesterday. All my problems are now fixed. I knew it was a simple matter of waiting for the second version. First releases always are a little buggy.

Jul 27, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #10 of 15
I'm running a Squeezebox 2 driven by an old Apple laptop. The quality is outstanding, and it is an easy way to access my FLACs. I now never use a disc player except for ripping (and, of course, SACDs, DVD-As, and DVDs). I run over a wired home network, so I can't address wireless dropouts, but the improved buffer size on the Squeezebox 2 seems to be a big plus.

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #12 of 15
Red Wine Audio's modifications page is now up.... Vinnie sent me a sneak peak link - No pricing yet, but for Squeezebox enthusiasts, the future looks promising!!

Go HERE.

Cheers,
Dennis
P.S. I am NOT affiliated with ANY manufacturer. I'm just a crazed Head-Fi'er!

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 15
I also installed the new version. I find it much better as well. I like that it does not use it's own browser for control any more. I use NetCaptor and the new SlimServer simply adds a tab to this browser. I like that SlimServer now sits on the Taskbar and resource management is smoother.

Dennis

Quote:

I just installed the version 6.1 SlimServer that was released yesterday. All my problems are now fixed. I knew it was a simple matter of waiting for the second version. First releases always are a little buggy.

Aug 8, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 15
What about the built in DAC? It's supposidly by Burr Brown. Any thoughts on it, paired with an external amp?

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

... When I pick an album to play, instead of just being able to scroll to a new album I instead have to go backwards through the options to the main menus (internet radio, search, browse, etc) scroll to a new selection, scroll back to browse and then pick an album...

OK, I just stumbled across the solution to my problem. There is a thing called the "Now Playing" screensaver that was defaulted (I think anyway) to come up while playing a song. It turns out there's another screensaver option called "Now Playing (Jump back on wake)" under the Player Settings menu. By selecting this one instead, whenever you pick up the remote to change songs the menu system picks up where it left off as opposed to forcing you back to the top. I recommend everyone look into this if they are having problems efficiently navigating their menus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back