Squeezebox Questions
Aug 24, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found the SB3 to be a great transport especially with an upgraded linear power supply it really comes to life. I have it feeding a Paradisea and its very sweet. The linear ps really makes the SB3 shine though.

Dumb question. Is this linear power supply an internal mod or is it external?

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #17 of 26
"Well can you give us a comparison how DAC1 performs against Squeezebox's DAC? I don't mean the headphone outputs of Squeezebox and DAC1 but the analog RCA outputs."

I have both. Given it's price and the other things it's doing, I think the Squeezebox DAC does surprisingly well when a/b'd on a preamp against the DAC1. There is a slight difference but whether it's worth $$$ I think depends on the rest of your system.

Aug 24, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Jester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dumb question. Is this linear power supply an internal mod or is it external?

The power supply is external. It comes stock with a little tiny walwart. A good ps gave increased soundstage better and tighter bass and blacker background. I had the bolder modded brick syle elpac first and it was excellent but I built my own condor 5v unit, power one is also good.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #19 of 26
I've been playing with and SB3 for the past two weeks. I like the analog out. Anyone have a link to a linear PS?

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #20 of 26
I have a SB3 with a Bolder Mod and a Bolder moded Elpak ps. I can not say enough about it. Whatever it lacks in the utmost detail it more than makes up for in the conveniance of being able to access 95gb of music from my Laz-z-boy.

Aug 25, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_deere_boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a SB3 with a Bolder Mod and a Bolder moded Elpak ps. I can not say enough about it. Whatever it lacks in the utmost detail it more than makes up for in the conveniance of being able to access 95gb of music from my Laz-z-boy.

I totally agree that SB3 with modded Elpac rocks. I dont have the SB mod but it has turned out to be above my expectations with linear ps. I did try the stock Elpac (wm220-1)first by itself with minimal results. But after Wayne modded it, it really performed a miracle on SB3's performance. I now use a Condor 5v 12amp model which has taken it to even a higher level.

Aug 25, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by diego /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not heard this one but it looks nice. www.welbornelabs.com/squeeze.htm .

While my personal experiences with Welbourne have been good others recently have had decidedly mixed things to say about them. Never anything about the quality of the products, more about the timelyness with which they choose to deliver the goods. Just something to bear in mind and at least research prior to a purchase.

That said, my opinion is that a high-quality regulated supply for the SB3 is an excellent mod and makes an easily perceptible difference on the analog outputs.

Aug 26, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally agree that SB3 with modded Elpac rocks. I dont have the SB mod but it has turned out to be above my expectations with linear ps. I did try the stock Elpac (wm220-1)first by itself with minimal results. But after Wayne modded it, it really performed a miracle on SB3's performance. I now use a Condor 5v 12amp model which has taken it to even a higher level.

Ok the only problem I face is that I live in Australia and most of the power supplies that are worth throwing money at are made for the U.S. or Europe. So can anyone direct me to place that could make either of these modded linear PS's that could mod one for Australian points etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back