Squeezebox Boulder Audio Digital ONLY Upgrade
Mar 27, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #16 of 64
Ok, so we're on the same page
wink.gif
. We'll both do different mods and compare!

Neil

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #17 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Well does this thing need to burn in? LOL.

I've been using it as a transport to my DAC. My current CD based transport sounds WAY better. It's really no comparison.

Neil

Which digital inputs are you using from either transport and which ICs?

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkless
Which digital inputs are you using from either transport and which ICs?

Digital Input from Both transports are temporarily using Optical HOSA cables. I'm planning on switching to Coax for the CDP as soon as I get a coax cable
wink.gif
(also the squeeze mod creates a coax output too).

Interconnect from my Esoteric D70 (DAC) into my HEV90 (amp) is Virtual Dynamics Master Series (2M).

Neil

Mar 27, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #19 of 64
I've been wanting to try the digital mods and PS upgrade as well, I also think just my dvd transport w/ CDs does a somewhat better job than the Squeezebox, both going digitally into a Panny XR-55. Curious to hear how the cheaper PS upgrades do, no way do I want to spend that much and have to wait minimum three months, haha.

Mar 27, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #20 of 64
I heard the coax out on the Squeezebox is better than the optical out!

Mar 27, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Lol! I'll be damned, there is a coax output.

tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #25 of 64
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait WAIT.

Do you guys think coax really sounds THAT different?? whoa. I got to stop using optical on my D70 ASAP!

Neil

Edit: That last statement there got me thinking, if I'm using optical on BOTH, well, one would assume that if there is an improvement on the Squeeze due to not using coax, the Optical is really poorly designed on this unit, no? Since I am using optical out of the D70 at the moment too.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 64
The optical is worse on the Squeezebox. 10x higher jitter than Coax!

At least that's what Sean Adams measured in the Slimdevices forums..

Mar 27, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 64
Quote:

In general, is coax the preffered method? In general for most audio (non directly connected to computer) devices?

It's not that toslink has to be intrinsically worse than coax. It's just that most consumer-grade toslink input/outputs use very cheap, very nasty optical signal generators and receivers that measure badly. There are better ones available, but hardly anyone, even many exotic makers, use them.

To add to the insult, the plastic molding of toslink chassis jacks and toslink male connectors are very poor designs that often make poor mechanical connections, which can add lots of jitter to the optical signal.

But if somebody paid some reasonable attention to toslink receivers, it's possible toslink may sound better than coax on that particular unit if coax wasn't implemented well, which is very common unfortunately.

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #29 of 64
Neil,
You didn't mention, so can you confirm that you're playing FLAC files with your Squeezebox? (and not mp3's or other lossy compression)

- bitrate limiting off
- digital output level fixed
- replay gain off

Thanks,
Dan

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
Neil,
You didn't mention, so can you confirm that you're playing FLAC files with your Squeezebox? (and not mp3's or other lossy compression)

- bitrate limiting off
- digital output level fixed
- replay gain off

Thanks,
Dan

Yeah it's all flac and APE. BUT you mention bitrate limiting, and Akwok has just informed me that it is on by default. Anyway, it seems that there is some stuff for me to play around with before I go out and get this thing modded.

Thanks a lot for that info, hehehe. I see what's going on. Ever since it was found that I use Optical Out, all my credibility has gone to shambles! LOL! Now I'm being questioned on playback formats, next we'll have to ascertain phase alignment of my Orpheus, directionality of solar wind, % ozone depletion in the area....

Just kidding. Thanks guys. But I do want to find out more about those mods!

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back