Squeezebox as a headphone amp?
Mar 8, 2007 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

renesis_au

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all, well now I've reached the stage where I am considering getting an amp. The problem is my budget is pretty tight and I can really only afford an amp or a DAC. Then it struck me if I was just using low impedance headphones like the AT's (say A900, or maybe the W5000) then won't the Squeezebox 3 be useable? So do I go for the Squeezebox and live with the headphone out for now, or get an amp of similar price and run it via the headphone out on my Macbook Pro?

Thanks
Renesis

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 13
The SB3 supposedly has a fantastic headphone amplifier built in, according to the users who have it. One of them even used it to drive HD650s I think? The idea of using it as a headamp doesn't appeal to me though, not in the least because it isn't a dedicated headamp in the first place. No large volume knob, jack at the back of the unit, etc.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 13
The SB3 does not have a fantastic amp in it. The SB3 has a headphone jack, but its driving ability isn't sufficient for me even to say with a straight face that it has an amp at all.

If someone likes the way their HD650 sounds with it, that's only happenstance: he likes how an underamped HD650 sounds. For someone seeking the sound signature of a properly amplified headphone, though, an unamped SB3 really does not cut it. I speak as the owner of three SB3's and one SB2.

That said, I think you might find it does a pretty decent job of driving an A900 or something similarly efficient, at least until you do get yourself an amp. I no longer have an A900 to test this configuration for you, but everything you've heard about the A900 being easy to drive is true (though I won't go so far as to say an amp wouldn't improve things). As for a W5000, sorry, no idea.

Mar 8, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 13
I bought the Squeezebox because of its integrated headphone amp. Nice and simple. As soon as I plugged the headphones in I heard hiss. Very noticeable, even with my middle-aged ears. This was annoying, and I started looking around for a headphone amp. First I tried a headphone amp that I already had, but it was a tad noisy too. I ended up buying a Benchmark DAC1 because it has co-ax digital input and an integrated headphone amp that got good reviews. I'm quite pleased with this combination. The DAC1 is quiet and sounds very good. It is, however, expensive.

My guess is that the Squeezebox noise is due mainly to the headphone amp itself. So, perhaps your best bet now is to get a decent small headphone amp to use with it, and think about an offboard DAC if you hear problems later.

Mar 9, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 13
FYI,

The sb3 is an excellent source for a headphone amp. I use my Tomahawk with it and it sounds amazing. I thought the TH was too weak for big headphones like the dt990 '05, but through the squeezebox it sounds fantastic. It gave me that WOW factor that few pieces of gear have done so far.

Fwiw, I never tried the headphone jack.

Mar 9, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #9 of 13
Whoops, I stand corrected
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So should I get DAC first or amp first? Will my Macbook Pro do in the meanwhile?

The built-in DAC in the Squeezebox is pretty good, so just using its analog line out to a good headphone amp will work nicely. When you get really carried away and want to spend a lot of money, then you could use the S/PDIF output to an external DAC (and headphone amp). But that better be a very good external DAC to make any sense.

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 13
The thing is that I don't have an amp at the moment at all, and my decision to be made is whether I go out and buy a DAC such as the Squeezebox that has a headphone out, or go and buy a proper amp to run of the headphone out on the MBP?

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by renesis_au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing is that I don't have an amp at the moment at all, and my decision to be made is whether I go out and buy a DAC such as the Squeezebox that has a headphone out, or go and buy a proper amp to run of the headphone out on the MBP?

Ah. I see. Even though the squeezebox has a DAC in it and a headphone jack (among other things), it's really more a music streaming device (wired or wireless LAN) than just a DAC and amp. It allows you to play sound files and internet radio on a traditional stereo without the need to connect a computer directly to it, and be able to stream music from your computer to multiple stereos in the house. If you have a need for this kind of capability then it's a no brainer, use the squeezebox analog line out and connect to your stereo (or headphone amp).

On the other hand, if all you're looking to do is to play music at your computer, then you don't need a squeezebox. A good quality external sound card (acting as a DAC) and a headphone amp will do. For example, an M-Audio Transit, which plugs into the computer's USB port, will be superior to 99% of the built-in sound on the computer motherboard. The Transit supports both Mac and Windows, and the street price is around $80, so it's not too expensive. Add a headphone amp and you're all set. There are more expensive and more feature-laden sound cards than the Transit, but it's hard to beat for what it is.

Connecting the computer's headphone out to an amp will not give you substantial improvements. If you must use the computer's built-in sound with an external amp, use the line outputs rather than the headphone outputs.

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Ohok thanks, the only problem is that the headphone out on a Macbook Pro (I believe) also acts as the line out. in any case, I'll have a look at the M-Audio Transit and see if I can get it here in Australia. Thanks amb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back