Squeezebox ad-hoc with laptop.
Nov 2, 2007 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Since my internet connection is only possible wireless, I would like to ad-hoc my computer to my Squeezebox through an ethernet cable.

I would suppose that there are benefits using Cat6 over a Cat5e cable for this purpose.

Does it have to be specific that I'm buying a crossover cable, because I've read that only crossover cables allow for ad-hoc networks between computer-computer (or in this case, computer-squeezebox device).

It's quite confusing how there are so many different cables out there. Cat6 patch cables, Cat6 crossover cables, Cat6 UTP cables..

If someone could help clarify. Thanks.

----

edit: Can I use an extra wireless adaptor on my PCMCIA slot to create an ad-hoc while I am still connected to my wireless on my other wireless device?

Nov 2, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #2 of 8
The quality won't matter unless your environment is really extreme.

You may or may not need a crossover but there's no harm in trying a regular cable assuming you've got one on hand.

EDIT: it's certainly possible to set up two NICs on different networks but I don't know how easy that would be with your OS especially if you're using it to handle the wireless stuff automagically. A wired connection would be more reliable and should waste less energy.

Apr 21, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 8
Similar question. I want to use a squeezebox 3 with my laptop. I have no broadband, no router and I was planning on using a crossover cable to connect the ethernet ports together. Will this work?

Apr 21, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Similar question. I want to use a squeezebox 3 with my laptop. I have no broadband, no router and I was planning on using a crossover cable to connect the ethernet ports together. Will this work?

I haven't tried ad-hoc'ing the squeezebox before, but I have experience with this
smily_headphones1.gif
If you assign an ip to your squeezebox and the port on your laptop, you will be fine with a xover cable.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Good news! Thanks
Now is the slimserver 'slim'? ie does it play nice and not hog a load of resources (ie no more than using foobar to listen to the same music)

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 8
I've been having a dig an my cables are normal (ie not crossover), can these be used with the squeezebox as a direct connection to a PC?

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 8
No, they can't. I made up a crossover cable to go direct from my laptop to the SB3. Set a static IP (eg. 192.168.5.1) on the PC's network card, leave the subnet mask as default and the default gateway blank. On the SB3, set the static IP to something like 192.168.5.2, tell it the server lives at 192.168.5.1, match the subnet mask and leave the default gateway blank again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back