Squeezebox 3 - power supply
Jan 16, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 12
If you look up the Elpac power supplies, you'll find the Wallwart and brick options (go to Bolder Cables for the exact model # of each) for ~$40 and $120 respectively; You'll need to modify their terminals, however in order to plug them into the squeezebox. BTW, you'll need a 5V 2A output min if you want to match the SB power supply specs. Another option (cheaper than Bolder mods and uses good quality parts) is the Welborne Labs PS. This is the supply I've chosen, but I'm still waiting for it. Best of luck!

Jan 16, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 12
Here's a link to the one I'm using:

Link

When I bought it a while ago it came with the barrel connector, but it appears that Elpac may have changed the spec, you may have to solder on a new connector. It should be pretty simple.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for the suggestions, right now I am just looking for a $7 wall wart as mentioned in the tweak, I understand these dedicated power supply's will be better but for now I just want something better than the inadequate stock.

The $7 power supply can be purchased at http://www.hosfelt.com. You need to search for part number 56-534. I ordered one from there a few days ago but have not received them yet. You need to reterminate the end to fit into the squeezebox.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread at the slimdevices forum (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23687).

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Thank you for the suggestions, right now I am just looking for a $7 wall wart as mentioned in the tweak, I understand these dedicated power supply's will be better but for now I just want something better than the inadequate stock.

IMHO a $7 wall wart will not be any better that the stock wall wart.

The only way to achieve any sort of sonic improvement is to get a linear PSU, and you won't be able to do that for $7.

If all you have to spend is $7 just save your money and use the stock wart. BTW, who said the stock wart was inadequate? It's not a liner model, but it's easily as good as anything you're going to get that isn't linear.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The $7 power supply can be purchased at http://www.hosfelt.com. You need to search for part number 56-534. I ordered one from there a few days ago but have not received them yet. You need to reterminate the end to fit into the squeezebox.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread at the slimdevices forum (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=23687).

Thanks man, that's what I was looking for... I didn't want to have to splice the wire but it's not a big deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only way to achieve any sort of sonic improvement is to get a linear PSU, and you won't be able to do that for $7.

It's not that I only have $7 to spend but I am not looking for a sonic improvement, it just appears the wall wart it's shipped with is inadequate and a simple regulated power supply fixes that issue.

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

It's not that I only have $7 to spend but I am not looking for a sonic improvement, it just appears the wall wart it's shipped with is inadequate and a simple regulated power supply fixes that issue.

How do you figure? The stock wall-wart works beautifully with my unit...

Jan 16, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If all you have to spend is $7 just save your money and use the stock wart. BTW, who said the stock wart was inadequate? It's not a liner model, but it's easily as good as anything you're going to get that isn't linear.

Even the op of the thread I pointed to at the slimdevices forum didn't hear any difference between the $7 power supply and the stock one. I figured for $7 it's an inexpensive experiment that isn't going to hurt me. If I hear something then great (even if it is placebo), if not I'm only out about $10.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you figure? The stock wall-wart works beautifully with my unit...

You might be right, and I might be reading too much into the reviews... however the review I posted above goes on to say:

"Before I go in depth about how the SB3 sounds, there are a couple of things that you will want to know first regarding the stock unit. First, the stock switching power supply is woefully inadequate for the critical listening that we audiophiles do. Fortunately, a cheap easy substitution of a $7, 5 Volt 1.5 Amp (regulated) wall wart brings a significant gain in resolution. If you want, you can go for a supped up 5 Volt regulated power supply like Bolder Cable offers or a battery power supply as in the one Red Wine Audio builds. I'll be auditioning each of these in the second of this series on the Squeezebox 3."

So I figure can't go wrong with $7 to see what sort of improvement I get.

Jan 16, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

You might be right, and I might be reading too much into the reviews... however the review I posted above goes on to say:

"Before I go in depth about how the SB3 sounds, there are a couple of things that you will want to know first regarding the stock unit. First, the stock switching power supply is woefully inadequate for the critical listening that we audiophiles do. Fortunately, a cheap easy substitution of a $7, 5 Volt 1.5 Amp (regulated) wall wart brings a significant gain in resolution. If you want, you can go for a supped up 5 Volt regulated power supply like Bolder Cable offers or a battery power supply as in the one Red Wine Audio builds. I'll be auditioning each of these in the second of this series on the Squeezebox 3."

So I figure can't go wrong with $7 to see what sort of improvement I get.

fair enough. That's good thinking.

Oct 22, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 12
The stock power supply is terrible, it's a very weak and very noisy switching power supply. I'm listening with a Sigma11 power supply and there's a surprising difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back