SQL Resources?
Oct 26, 2003 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Davie

1000+ Head-Fier
Anybody know of good resources (books or online) for ideas/inspiration for complex SQL queries? I'm looking for a "cookbook" kind of thing, and am using MS Access. There's an O'Reilly press MySQL cookbook, but most of it is about MySQL-specific stuff.

Thanks.

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 4
dunno how complex you are thinking of, but personally I liked the "SQL in 21 days" from sams for learning SQL from scratch, not too thick book and not too much bs like many books have.

I dunno about ms access tho.... ms just loves to put in properitary stuff in their solutions

Oct 26, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 4
If you're looking for tough queries from an expert (as well as good introductory stuff) pick ou one of Joe Celko's books, SQl for Smarties or his earlier one (and I think he has one newer). Some very good mind bending puzzles in them.

Oct 27, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
If you're looking for tough queries from an expert (as well as good introductory stuff) pick ou one of Joe Celko's books, SQl for Smarties or his earlier one (and I think he has one newer). Some very good mind bending puzzles in them.

Thanks. Mind-bending sounds just about right.

I've found the SAMS 21-days books to be good introductions, but I kind of doubt it would cover the real pretzel-logic aspect of SQL. But I'll check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back