SQ with new ipods
Sep 21, 2009 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Shane D

Headphoneus Supremus
I know they are pretty new but I was wondering if anybody could say which has better SQ between an Touch 64 and a classic 160?
Has there been a difference in the past?

I am ripping my collection now and sitting at just under 40GB. I figure I will end up at around 50 to 55GB, so I could get a Touch.
No interest in bells and whistles, just playing music.
Classic is cheaper and bigger, but I would consider the Touch if it has better sound quality.

Thanks folks!

Shane D

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 12
If you arent interested in bells and whistles, get the classic. much more space, and you can use it without looking at it. (Main controls are tactile, as opposed to touch screen)

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by srozzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you arent interested in bells and whistles, get the classic. much more space, and you can use it without looking at it. (Main controls are tactile, as opposed to touch screen)

That's what I was thinking, but I was wondering about SQ. Or do all ipods use the same same chips or have the same sound signature?

Shane D

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 12
The Touch should have superior SQ to the Classic.

From what I've heard from friends' players, the classic compares unfavourably to the touch.

The classic's sound signature is cold, but clean-sounding opposed to the touch's warmer and richer sound.

In the past, Apple has used SigmaTel chips in the first-gen Shuffle and Wolfson chips for HDD-based iPods like the iPod Video. The iPod classic uses a Cirrus Logic chip.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Classic is more capacity and more a music player it seems, also smaller screen to damage. Even the classic only holds half of my music so for me when I replace that is the ticket.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1audioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Touch should have superior SQ to the Classic.

From what I've heard from friends' players, the classic compares unfavourably to the touch.

The classic's sound signature is cold, but clean-sounding opposed to the touch's warmer and richer sound.

In the past, Apple has used SigmaTel chips in the first-gen Shuffle and Wolfson chips for HDD-based iPods like the iPod Video. The iPod classic uses a Cirrus Logic chip.

Did he check LOD or the headphone out. I read they may have upgraded the headphone out/unsource comment/ in the touch but the line out of the classic is pretty darn good....at least my 160 which is a year and a half or so old. If he was comparing HP out then that may be true though.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

No interest in bells and whistles, just playing music.

Then it seems that the best choice you have is to wait until October 31st and purchase Sony NW-A847.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 12
make sure you hear the touch and classic side by side. my 2¢.

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then it seems that the best choice you have is to wait until October 31st and purchase Sony NW-A847.

I noticed that but I am not sure if I can wait.

Shane D

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
make sure you hear the touch and classic side by side. my 2¢.

That is going to be tough. What would be the chance of hearing the tow models in a store with the same music?

I am going to drop by a store tomorrow and have a look.

Shane D

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1 or x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back