SQ Wise Iriver Clix2 Vs Sony A818
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eternality.pl

100+ Head-Fier
I know that there are many threads on both sony and clix but what I really want to know is how they compare to each other ?? I'm seriously considering changing my iriver clix2 redline to sony a818 - 8gb.

I love the D click, the brilliant screen and the sq of Clix2 it is just that I somewhat don't feel this 'speed' in tunes. The signature is ok, but this so called 'strike' on rock/metal songs is not sufficient. I hope you guys know what I mean

So, is there anybody who own both clix2 and sony/ or compared them thoroughly ?? Is Sony a worth upgrade ?? Please help...

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #2 of 6
I would also like to know this. By the way how are the sound enhancements on the Clix 2? Could you give a small summary in terms of SQ of the Clix. From what I understand the Clix 2 internals are also top notch. Generation mp3 also had Clix 2 their top player regarding SQ with A818 coming in at #2. I am going to try out the S616 in the next two days so I will give you feedback on the SQ seeing how most can't tell the difference between it and the A818 it may be of some help.

Dec 29, 2007 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 6
That'd be great .

As of Clix2 - The sound is really good - definitely on the warm side, but that is what I like - There are Many enhancements in the software itself - a number of predefined presets , a 5 band custom eq and SRS Wow HD system.

Personally i mostly use custom Eq to boost high freq of my Livewires, I also sometimes favour rock preset - it sounds marvellously, although sometimes I miss this 'speed' thing from samsung z5 that I owned earlier.

That's why I wanted to find out how does clix2 compare with sony axxx/a6xx. They also seem to be one of the best here. Maybe They have this punch and speed that I'm looking for
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 6
Never heard the clix2 but I do have a 618 and a z5, and I'm going to be honest here; the z5 overall is better, it sounds cleaner and fuller to my ears. In fact I mainly listen to my sammy yh-j70 as with a bit of eq sounds just as good as both but holds more tunes.

I agree with with Spyro in the 'overrated' thread, I think the new sonys sound a bit thin. Personally I believe a lot of the praise is coming from the fact the player sounds very good out of the box as it isn't really a flat EQ, sony have boosted a tad on the top and bottom, and people think this 'full' sound is coming from a flat eq, which is cetainly isn't.

EDIT: I will just add however that I mainly listen to electronica and metal/rock. Although electronica sounds a lot better on the z5, I think the sony has the edge for rock, seems to give a little bit more texture in the midrange, also drums especially snares seem to have a nice impactful pop to them. This is using e500's.

Oct 1, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternality.pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know that there are many threads on both sony and clix but what I really want to know is how they compare to each other ?? I'm seriously considering changing my iriver clix2 redline to sony a818 - 8gb.

I love the D click, the brilliant screen and the sq of Clix2 it is just that I somewhat don't feel this 'speed' in tunes. The signature is ok, but this so called 'strike' on rock/metal songs is not sufficient. I hope you guys know what I mean

So, is there anybody who own both clix2 and sony/ or compared them thoroughly ?? Is Sony a worth upgrade ?? Please help...

As of two days ago - I own both. I broke my Clix and bought a a818.
Now the a818 is a very nice little player, but from an audio point of view I dont think it's anywhere near as good as the Clix. Even after messing about with the hidden gain settings menu.

I'll be keeping this a818 for now, but wish I'd bought another clix
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back