SQ: Super.fi 4 vs Er6i
Sep 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Funky_Junk

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm in the hunt for new ipod headphones and I'm trying to choose between the UE Super.fi 4 and the Er6i so I have come to you to ask you which one has better sound quality? Bass doesn't matter for me, and I will not consider getting the super.fi 3's because I don't like the over the ear thing. So again, which one: the super.fi 4's or the er6i's offers better sound quality? Thanks.

Sep 16, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #2 of 10
The UE4s have a bit of a warm sound quality but it's very dynamic. The highs are a little dark but they have good soundstage, clarity and decent low end response. The mids are a little muddy but nothing very bad.

I haven't listened to my ER6i in a long time and don't remember what their sound is but they aren't bad from what I remember. They aren't as good as the UE4s in detail and soundstage.

Both can be worn over or under the ear but over provides a better, more secure fit. The ER6i's will accept Shure olives and Comply type "P" Standards, which is the longest, largest foam Comply makes. The UE4 will only accept modded olives and T400 Complys, which can be troubling to some people who have larger ear canals to get a good fit and seal. The best sleeve I've found for use with the UE4 is the Creative Labs Zen Aurvana silicone sleeves which can easily be purchased at their website if you find the OEM sleeves/foams nor the Comply foams to do you any good should you go the UE4 route.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Funky_Junk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I'm in the hunt for new ipod headphones and I'm trying to choose between the UE Super.fi 4 and the Er6i so I have come to you to ask you which one has better sound quality? Bass doesn't matter for me, and I will not consider getting the super.fi 3's because I don't like the over the ear thing. So again, which one: the super.fi 4's or the er6i's offers better sound quality? Thanks.

The er6i is infinitely superior to the super.fi 4 in every way bar comfort, perhaps.
I found the 4s to be downright harsh and cheap sounding, whereas the 6is were much more balanced and, in lack of a better word, more detailed and "clear".

It might be the source though, but these are my impressions from running them unamped off a sansa clip without any EQ adjustments.

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 10
I have the Super fi.4's and like them a lot, but then, I was coming from the JVC Marshmallows.

I will also say that they sound really good with an amp.

I use the Comply T400's and don't even notice them in my ear after a while.

One more thing, I didn't mean to imply that the Marshmallows were bad, they're not, considering what they cost. It's just that the fi.4's are better.

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 10
Ety is the easy choice

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 10
I am a owner of the Super Fi. 4 before getting the Triple Fi.10

I really love my super fi.4 and will use it once in a while since i have TF 10 now. But i always use it for my jogging session.

The sound is warmth with sufficient bass. Give a very nostalgic kind of feeling to me.

The only bad point is the build quality of it. My wire spilt once and my connector spilt once too. But this is due to everyday usage (which include running, jogging and on public transport). Luckily it is still on warranty.

With careful usage, i believe it can last for a long time. Alternatively, u can look at the UE super fi. 5 (not the PRO edition)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back