SQ of the Denon's AH-D1000
Aug 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Albinoni

500+ Head-Fier
Ive never used or tried Denon headphones but I do like their Hi Fi equipment for sure.  Been looking into getting the AH-D1000's to add to my headphone collection togther with my AKG's, Grado's, Allesandro's, Sennheiser and Audio Technica headphones.  Apart from that I also like the look of these headphones.

Questions

1. Whats the build quality like ?

2. How would rate their SQ, is it good

3. Are they easy to drive ?

4. How big are they, eg compared to the ATH-ES7's

5. Are they comfortable ?

Aug 9, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 5
1. Build quality is pretty decent, but there's really nothing special about it. Just another pretty well built phone.
2. Soft, laid back, really musical. Not aggressive enough for me though. Great for jazz/pop/acoustic/vocal/etc. (yet not as great as ESW9s), but rather useless for faster electronics or heavy guitars.
3. Pretty much everything can drive them.
4. A bit bigger than ES7s as they are circumaural, not big enough for bigger ears to fit though.
5. They are comfortable only until your ears start to sweat. Their pleather earpads are simply TERRIBLE (one of the worst earpads I have ever experienced).

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
1. Build quality is pretty decent, but there's really nothing special about it. Just another pretty well built phone.
2. Soft, laid back, really musical. Not aggressive enough for me though. Great for jazz/pop/acoustic/vocal/etc. (yet not as great as ESW9s), but rather useless for faster electronics or heavy guitars.
3. Pretty much everything can drive them.
4. A bit bigger than ES7s as they are circumaural, not big enough for bigger ears to fit though.
5. They are comfortable only until your ears start to sweat. Their pleather earpads are simply TERRIBLE (one of the worst earpads I have ever experienced).

How would you compare their SQ lets say against the ATH-ES7's,  I really love the SQ of the ATH-ES7's very nice bass to them.

Aug 9, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 5
I tested the Denons extensively when I had my own pair of ES7s. Personally I think that Denons are a major step down from ES7's in every aspect apart from comfort.
Bass - no contest here, ATH's bass is nicer, deeper and better controlled.
Mids - again, no contest, upper models from ES series (7's, 9's and 10's) have the sweetest mids I've ever heard.
Highs - Draw, both phones have slightly recessed and smooth highs. Slight sibilance may be heard in ES7's but very rarely.
Soundstage - Draw, nothing impressive.
Fun - ES7's are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead.

My advice - if you have and love the ES7's don't even consider the Denons. But again, that's just my opinion :wink:.

Aug 9, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Ive never used or tried Denon headphones but I do like their Hi Fi equipment for sure.  Been looking into getting the AH-D1000's to add to my headphone collection togther with my AKG's, Grado's, Allesandro's, Sennheiser and Audio Technica headphones.  Apart from that I also like the look of these headphones.

Questions

1. Whats the build quality like ?

2. How would rate their SQ, is it good

3. Are they easy to drive ?

4. How big are they, eg compared to the ATH-ES7's

5. Are they comfortable ?

I own the D1001's.

1.   BQ is nothing spectacular, but nothing bad either.  They are built well from the materials they are made from.

2.  SQ is pretty good.  It is low end heavy and lacks sparkle.  I prefer something more neutral, but its a fun headphone.  I still like it.

3.  Very easy to drive though a little juice will help a little bit.

4.  They go around your ears.  They just fit around my ears and I have dumbo size ears

5.  They are comfy till your ears get hot.

Compared to the ES7's i dont know, but here is a good read: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-45-portable-headphones-compared-aiwa-shellz-added-07-31

Note: The denon's are the same as the Creative Aurvana Live! (CAL!).  They are just rebranded denons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back