SQ of Rockbox'd iPod 5.5g ? need your viewsOSC
Mar 6, 2011 at 3:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

iVinyl

New Head-Fier
I took the plunge this weekend and Rockbox'd my ipod 5.5g. Using a Headroom ultra micro amp and SD650's I had a hard time picking up on any difference between FLAC on the RB'd ipod and what I could recall from before the modification with an AIFF in the Apple OS. (I could just tell the difference between FLAC and 256kbps AAC on the RB'd ipod).

Am I going mad - had old age crept up on me?  I went back to my regular hifi - and swapped an interconnect from Silver to Shielded Silver Chord cable - yep, my ears are still there, instant change to the sound. I also connected the regular ipod to my HiFi and was able to detect the difference in ambience between 256 kbps AAC and ALE.

Folks - with Flat EQ - is a Rockbox'd ipod 5.5g supposed to be better sounding than a regular ipod using Lossless files in each case?  Is it only meant to sound better with compressed music, or is the whole point the ability to have a high quality EQ capability?

I had some issues with RB V3.8 and mac OSX and had to use bootcamp to load the files - I have dropped the guys at RB a line and asked a similar question to that above to see what they think too. I'm thinking that the opinions here may be more equalised :)

kind regards

Chris

Mar 6, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #2 of 3

Quote:
Folks - with Flat EQ - is a Rockbox'd ipod 5.5g supposed to be better sounding than a regular ipod using Lossless files in each case?  Is it only meant to sound better with compressed music, or is the whole point the ability to have a high quality EQ capability?

kind regards

Chris

With flat EQ, it shouldn't sound any different. Rockbox brings you the wider format compatibility, and an amazingly capable EQ, along with the various customizations, like themes, etc.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:

With flat EQ, it shouldn't sound any different. Rockbox brings you the wider format compatibility, and an amazingly capable EQ, along with the various customizations, like themes, etc.

There it is in a nutshell. Also, RB adds slightly more battery life,...a touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back