SQ of 4th Gen iPod Line Out
Jan 29, 2007 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am in the process of evaluating my 2 new amps, a RSA Hornet and a Singlepower Extreme Platinum (both with about 30-40 hours on them, so much burn in to go). My most convenient digital source is a 60GB iPod Photo using the line out and with wav files. To my ears the SQ of the line out is quite good, while the headphone out of the iPod is much worse. But in comparing the two amps using the iPod line out, I thought that the Hornet was suprisingly close to the Extreme in SQ. (Comparison using TT & vinyl showed a much greater difference.) (I am using Senn HD 580 with the 600 mods. Mainly listening to classic rock so far.)

One member has suggested that my digital source might not be adequate to reveal significant differences in the amps.

Does anyone have experience with the 4th Gen iPod SQ using the line out and wav. files, who can comment on the relative quality (or not) of this set up as a source? I am meaning to compare the iPod to a decent CD player of $200-$300 price range, not a high end CD or SACD player. Bottom line, is the SQ of this iPod set up sufficient to reveal differences between the 2 amps mentioned?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back